Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Freshman engineering classes PLEASE HELP ME MAKE A DECISION

Replies to: Freshman engineering classes PLEASE HELP ME MAKE A DECISION

• izelkayizelkay Registered User Posts: 407 Member
    @3boysmom92 You can't take PHYS 208 before taking PHYS 218. PHYS 218 is a prerequisite for PHYS 208.

@realchk There's absolutely nothing wrong with that schedule. In fact, it's almost exactly the same as my schedule was when I was a freshman, except I took CHEM 107/117 in Spring and took PHYS 208 over the summer, and I was an electrical engineering major. Nonetheless, maintaining a 3.5 would not be insanely difficult with that schedule, and I doubt he will need any tutoring outside of office hours and SI sessions.
  • lee6666lee6666 Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    edited April 2017
    @realchk, The electives you mention -- THAR and HLTH 236 -- are real GPA boosters, so they will help. My son took two of the THAR classes with Anne Quackenbush early on -- both easy As, and took HLTH 236 online -- also a very easy A. As far as the Physics vs. Chem debate, he found Chem easier than Physics. Other than that, your schedule is pretty standard for all entry-level engineering students. And just keep in mind that >90% received their first choice major last year, whether they had a 3.5 GPA or not. It will be interesting to see if this spring's Entry To A Major numbers are similar.
  • 3boysmom923boysmom92 Registered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
    Thanks for setting me straight. I just assumed the smaller number meant it came first. LOL
    This thread has been most helpful. I appreciate everyone's input.
  • CollegeMom789CollegeMom789 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Even if your son already has AP credits for Chem 107/117, I think he should consider taking Chem his first semester. As a GPA booster. PHYS 208 can be a "GPA killer," especially if he gets the wrong prof. Many students I know take it in summer at community college or online thru Western Texas College (either summer, fall, or spring). He should definitely ask his dept if they want PHYS 208 taken at A&M or if somewhere else is ok.

I had credit for Calc I ages ago. My high school teacher recommended that Calc I my first semester as a GPA booster. So glad I did! Math teachers were strong at my HS, but science teachers not. I needed that extra time for Chem & Engr courses.
  • GleeGlee Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    @CollegeMom789 Do students take PHYS 208 over the summer after High School graduation or Freshman Year at A&M? Thanks for all your advice.
  • CollegeMom789CollegeMom789 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    edited April 2017
    @Glee, Almost always after freshman year. PHYS 208 is the second Physics course at A&M. Pre-reqs include Physics 208 and Math 151/152 (Calc I & II). Unless your Aggie is coming in with AP credit for all those, he wouldn't be eligible for P.208 this summer. Some advisors recommend against accepting AP & dual credit in subjects related to a student's major. My daughter accepted lots of AP credit at out-of-state university. She decided to take courses in her major in college instead of accepting HS credit. She's very happy about that decision because: 1) she's had 4 easy classes her freshman year and 2) she's learned things in those courses that weren't taught in high school AP courses. My Aggie didn't accept any STEM AP or dual credit. He took PHYS 208 equivalent through WTC during a fall TAMU semester. It worked out well for him, especially since WTC isn't attempting to "weed out" students. I called & totally regretted it! So far, can't enroll online there. WTC sometimes adds a section of Physics during fall or spring semester to meet demand. They don't seem to have enough profs in summer to add physics sections.

If your Aggie wants to take WTC online physics, I highly recommend applying for WTC admissions early. Near the very beginning of semester prior to semester he/she intends to take it. Also, stay on top of registration. Last time I checked, Korie Allen is online coordinator & the one who registers the students. My son called her. I also called while my Aggie was recovering from surgery & she didn't seem to mind. My son wasn't able to get into Summer Physics 208, but Korie enrolled him for fall semester early....so he was guaranteed to get in. I'd NEVER call anyone at A&M. Except this week when my son was too anxious to call clinic about his issues. I totally regret making that phone call; lesson learned!

I'm sorry, hadn't been on College Confidential until for over a week until tonight.
  • realchkrealchk Registered User Posts: 243 Junior Member
    Thank you all for the great advice I really appreciate it. It has been a great help! This physics thing is really stressing me/us out but I'm glad you told me about the alternative
  • realchkrealchk Registered User Posts: 243 Junior Member
    Just wondering, anyone's child took Phys 208 in Houston over the summer and transferred credit to TAMU? Houston Community College?
    edited May 2017
    @realck, My son took it at Lone Star CC the summer following his freshman year, but in was lecture format, not online. It was an easy class, rarely ever saw him do homework or study, and the class always seemed to get released early. The credit transfers, the grade does not.
    Thanks for the info @lee6666 Could please share the name of the professor for HLTH 236?
    @izelkay You took CHEM 107/117 in Spring, what science course did you take in the Freshman Fall? PHYS 218 or CHEM 102/112? Thank you!
    @Glee, Adam Barry. Class was online.
    edited May 2017
    Thank you so much @lee6666
  • izelkayizelkay Registered User Posts: 407 Member
    Glee, I took PHYS 218 that fall and CHEM 107/117 in the spring. CHEM 102/112 was not a requirement for electrical engineering majors. Though it looks like freshman may be forced to take CHEM 107/117 their first semester and PHYS 218 their second semester from now on.
    Thank you @izelkay
This discussion has been closed.