Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Freshman engineering classes PLEASE HELP ME MAKE A DECISION

13»

Replies to: Freshman engineering classes PLEASE HELP ME MAKE A DECISION

• NpHighTeKNpHighTeK Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    @CollegeMom789 I know this a few months late but, regarding online classes, do they still count for the same number of credits? Do they affect scholarships? How exactly did the course work and did he have to login everyday? any help is appreciated.
  • lee6666lee6666 Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    @NpHighTeK, online classes taken at A&M earn credit hours and count toward your GPA just as lecture classes. No difference. (Keep in mind that if you take classes at a community college -- whether online or lecture -- the credit transfers but your grade does not factor into your GPA at A&M.)
    @lee6666 thank you.
  • CollegeMom789CollegeMom789 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    edited June 2017
    @NpHighTeK, classes taken at WTC have same number of credits. If a student has TAMU scholarship that covers tuition, I'm almost certain it won't pay for WTC tuition. Please find competent advisors for your preferred engr disciplines (top 3 choices). Ask what courses they will accept from WTC. Entry to major requirements seem to change every year. Please ask advisors what current requirements are to apply for "Entry-to-a-Major." My Aggie entered TAMU Fall 2014. He was required to complete a minimum of 3 courses (MATH, CHEM or PHYS, ENGR 111 or 112) at A&M before he could apply for entry to major. There might be more requirements now.

My Aggie took WTC online PHYS 208 with Dr. Michael Hibbs. He didn't have to log in daily, but there were frequent quizzes & homework assignments due. All 9 lab reports were due near the end of the semester. If you're taking other course(s) with WTC PHYS, it's easy to procrastinate on the labs & get overloaded on/near due date for labs.

My Aggie failed TAMU PHYS 218. Made A's in WTC PHYS courses equivalent to TAMU PHYS 218/ 208 (and didn't spend nearly as much time on WTC as the time spent struggling to make an F+ at TAMU).

If your major requires CALC III and Dif Equations, I wouldn't take WTC CALC I &/or CALC II. Courses are still challenging at WTC, but students are allowed to use formula sheets for exams. In my opinion, using formula sheets is a great idea. For engineering, application of concepts should be the primary goal (rather than memorizing LOTS of formulas). TAMU and Blinn Calc profs require students to memorize a b'zillion formulas, which makes them much more difficult "weed out" courses. In my opinion, WTC Calc I & II won't adequately prepare you for TAMU Calc III & Dif Equations because you probably need to have all those formulas memorized. .
  • lee6666lee6666 Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    @NpHighTeK @CollegeMom789 Entry To A Major has changed quite a bit. Engineering students are now required to complete 2 maths, 2 sciences and ENGR 111 and 1112 at TAMU prior to applying to their major (unless accepting AP credit for math/science).
    @CollegeMom789 appreciate it. I just wanted to use that to finish UCCs or classes like 208 that are easy/'not' required for all majors later on and are relatively hard.
This discussion has been closed.