Sai9999Sai9999 8 replies3 postsRegistered User New Member
Physics Major
3.2 High school GPA
1270 Sat score
680 Math and 590 Verbal
About 100 hours of volunteering at a summer camp
An Academic excellence award in Spanish
Plays Soccer and Table tennis for fun
Started Physics Club at High school, member at Artificial intelligence club and prospective computer science club member at High school

10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Texas A&M chance me

• nomatternomatter 79 replies3 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    For TAMU review admits it very difficult to guess chances. The last few admission cycles have been brutal. Auto Admits (top 10%) and Academic Admits (top 25% + 1360+ SAT (620+ math/670+ verbal minimums) will take up most of the admission spots. However, if you provide some additional information, you may get a lot of anecdotal assessments. What year are you in-- Are you a rising senior now? What's your class rank (vitally important), as of the end of Junior year (assuming you're a rising senior)? Is the gpa you mentioned weighted or unweighted, and what's the scale (e.g. 3.2/4.0 or 3.2/5.0)? Have you taken AP/IB/Dual enrollment classes? How did you do in them? What level of math have you completed, and will you complete before the end of high school?
    · Reply · Share
  • Sai9999Sai9999 8 replies3 postsRegistered User New Member
    The gpa is weighted and is out of 4, I will be a Senior this fall, I have taken 2 AP classes till now and did quite well in them, I am taking 3 more in senior year... My school doesn’t give u ur rank unless u r in top 10%. I have completed Alg 2, I am will finish Pre Calc next year. I moved here in the middle of 9th grade which heavily affected my academics, I am writing a lot about that in my college essay... I have 3 recommendation letters, one from my Spanish teacher who awarded me, 2 from my AP physics 1 and honors physics teachers
    · Reply · Share
    What about University of Texas at Dallas??
    · Reply · Share
  • AggieMomhelpAggieMomhelp 1624 replies2 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Sai9999 What are your test scores? TAMU will assign you a rank, so once you apply, let us know where they put you. We can give you a better idea of chances at that time. You have given us very little to go on. Also provide extra curriculars, work and volunteer hours.
    · Reply · Share
    Oh ok thanks!
    My Sat is 1270, Math is 680 and Verbal is 590
    I have 100 hours of volunteering
    · Reply · Share
  • AggieMomhelpAggieMomhelp 1624 replies2 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    OMG I'm an idiot.. I didn't realize you were the OP on this thread, lol.. I thought you just hopped in. Read it on my phone. I'm sorry for asking you to repeat.
    As @nomatter said, review admits are tough to chance, especially based on last year. It really depends on how you stack up with this class. Last year we had some really high caliber students... unlike we've seen in a while. Students with your stats, primarily got PSA, but this year is a whole different game, so until we know ranking, it'll be hard to give you a good idea.
    · Reply · Share
    Oh alright tq
    · Reply · Share
  • BlueBayouAZBlueBayouAZ 299 replies8 postsRegistered User Member
    Sorry, I would not count on TAMU. Do you know your rank? You need to have other options you are pleased with. My daughter 3.29UW/3.79W (3.3/3.8 by graduation) ACT28 (M29,E27) and SAT (weaker than ACT) 1270 (670M 600E) - 8AP classes, got PSA last year. My daughter's school has a very high achieving population- as an honors graduate - she was only ranked 38%.

As for UTD - I understand the Physics program is pretty impressive. One of my friend's sons (in the top 6% of his graduating class). Is going to UTD instead of UT in Austin. He just liked it better. He got into RICE too - but selected UTD because of $$$. This is the family that encourage us to look at UTD after they toured it.

As long as you are in the top 1/2 of your class - you should not have any problem getting into UTD. There is no academic admission - so everything below the top 10% is reviewed holistically. Your test score in English is below the middle 50 percent spread of common data set by 10 points - E600-700, M620-740, but that shouldn't be an issue. If you are not in the top half - they are going to take a more serious look at you holistically. (1% of TAMU comes from bottom half 9.5% of UTD does). But I still think you would be admitted to UTD.
    · Reply · Share
    Oh I see... That was very helpful thanks! I really like UTD since my tour. My gpa is affected by the fact that I moved here in the middle of ninth grade so couldn’t focus during Freshman year. And my counselor and peers didn’t tell me much about taking harder classes to make my gpa higher. But yea tq!
    · Reply · Share
    My school doesn’t give your rank unless you are in top 10%
    · Reply · Share