Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
hookem168hookem168 - Posts: 3,206 Senior Member
edited November 2008 in Texas A&M University
Texas A&M has got to be one of the only schools that turns me off to it more and more every time I hear its alumni talk.

A few weeks ago, I had some valedictorian luncheon thing with a bunch of A&M's "who's who," including the mayor of Austin, and it was just awful.

They continuously (and proudly!) described it as a quaint school for "good ol' boys," a place where Average Joes pass each other and say "howdy, neighbor!"

It became pretty obvious that they had no clue about the intentions of their audience. Here they were, talking to a room full of Harvard hopefuls, ranting on and on about that "small town feel." Sheesh.

At one point, they mentioned the minimum SAT score required to gain automatic admission to the Honors Programs, much less the school itself, and I almost choked.

That may be all well and good for other high school students, but I would encourage A&M reps to play to their audience a bit more.

Ah well, to each his own, I suppose.
Post edited by hookem168 on

Replies to: Wow

• mcalvelloxxmcalvelloxx Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    Maybe you should send a complaint letter.
    I don't think CC will change anything.

Plenty of colleges to choose from my friend..
  • bandnerd91321bandnerd91321 Registered User Posts: 396 Member
    hookem, your name says your preference. I always find it amazing how tU fans/students have to come on the TAMU board to smash the Aggies. You should be secure in your own school, my friend. tU has a definite attitude about them and you prove the point. That is why I chose TAMU over tU. It's all in the attitude. Oh, and good luck with Harvard....
    GIG 'EM!
  • ColdWindColdWind - Posts: 1,598 Senior Member
    What is the minimum SAT I score to gain automatic admission to the Honors College at Texas A&M University?
  • chaoswithinthedchaoswithinthed Registered User Posts: 350 Member
    I don't think there is an automatic admission to the Honors College. The lowest you can get to still get in (Probably with killer ECs and grades) is a 1250.

The automatic admission to just Texas A&M is a 1300 in the top 25% which is very respectable.

I don't think they were really lying about the feel of the school, just being honest. It's a great school with many academics being at UT level or above. It's just a difference in attitude.

DP
  • bandnerd91321bandnerd91321 Registered User Posts: 396 Member
    And you need to be in the top 10% of your class.

And why should TAMU "play to the audience"? They are looking for good fits for their school. If you are not a good fit, someone else will be. They do not lie and purport to be someone else they are not.....it's all in the attitude....
This discussion has been closed.