Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Non top 10%

Replies to: Non top 10%

• DillonJayDillonJay Registered User Posts: 396 Member
    I have a friend that applied in January maybe late December who is just out of the top 10% and he FINALLY heard last week!
    matter of fact, there are about 5 people (that I know of) going to A&M from my class (probably including me) and only two of us were in the top 10%
    So they definitely accept a lot of people :D you can get accepted as long as you're well rounded! lol
  • aGGieENGiNeeRaGGieENGiNeeR Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    In my honest opinion, A&M is quite generous with their admissions and maybe a bit too generous. I think you have a decent shot since you are looking at liberal arts.
  • cookiecrumbscookiecrumbs Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Eagerly waiting. What are my chances? :/

325/790 Class rank (Very large competitive Texas high school)
    3.7 GPA on a weighted 4.5 scale
    SAT- 650 Math 640 Reading 570 Writing
    ACT- 29 Math 30 Science 28 Reading 25 Writing (Avg: 29)

Many AP classes, 4 year varsity lacrosse member. Worked a job and many community service hours. What worries me is my class rank. Out of my high school, only 8 people were in the top 10 percent who were not tied for #1 in the class (perfect GPA). So that pretty much screwed my chances for an auto-admit.

I'm worried now!
  • klparker312klparker312 Registered User Posts: 970 Member
    you could have an auto admit if you were top 25% and 1300 SAT - you were close on the SAT or a 30 on the ACT - again you were close....
  • MikeWozowskiMikeWozowski Registered User Posts: 3,235 Senior Member
    cookie crumbs everything looks ok but your class rank. if you were closer to 25% i would say you are in ...
  • pinktye03pinktye03 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I don't know if i got in, it says they have reached a decision but I don't find out till Thursday.
    I applying as a Biomedical major, I plan on going into dentistry and then eventually Oral Surgery.
    Class rank: 71/353
    GPA:3.3 on a 4.0 scale
    SAT M/CR:1050
    I'm well rounded:
    I go to a specialty school, therefore, I have been studying medical/dental for the past 4 years.
    -internship at a dental office this year.
    -Varsity Tennis last 3 years
    -HOSA (Health Occupation Students of America)
    -Stuco
    -Academy Ambassadors (since our school, is like a magnet school, but not, and its the best of the few that are in the US, we have people come from all over the US to tour the school and try to make one like ours in their state. Also our school is about 50% glass, which gives amazing views since we are sitting on a golf course, so we have tons of conferences in our board room. Us, as ambassadors have to know the school like the back of our hand and also have to have amazing presentation skills.)
    FDC (Future Dentist Club)
    SPEP 11, 12, & Pre-college (Both FDC and SPEP take place at Baylor College of Dentistry, and SPEP is a summer program that teaches me the beginnings of dentistry)
    Recommendation Letters:
    I only sent one, and that was from my dentistry teacher, the one from my school, he has been teaching me for the last 4 years. He is a retired dentist.
    I'm in the top 20% of my class, which is okay I guess
    But my SAT's weren't all that hot.
    lmao, I am also African American, I know it sounds bad, but colleges do have a quota to meet.
  • XcelleratorXcellerator Registered User Posts: 1,678 Senior Member
    cookiecrumbs - depends on what majors/colleges you applied to. I'd say you have a pretty good shot.

pinktye03 - Those are some below average stats. Your school must not be competitive even though it's a specialty school. I'd say Waitlisted/Blinn even with the URM status.
  • pinktye03pinktye03 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Um, ya, my school is pretty competitive, you have to apply to go there, so we have a small class, but to even break top 10% you have to have 4.0 or a 96 on a 100 point scale.
    But you seem to think very highly of A&M standards, which I have heard time and time again that are not that high. I mean of course it is a great school not to mention tied for my #1 choice, but it is not as near as selective as UT or Baylor.
  • MikeWozowskiMikeWozowski Registered User Posts: 3,235 Senior Member
    um ... many many people get into baylor that do not get in to ut or a&m.
  • klparker312klparker312 Registered User Posts: 970 Member
    uh..... Baylor is not selective at all pinktye03, that right there tells me you have no idea at all about selective schools.
  • aggiegirl10aggiegirl10 Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    got to step 4 today but dont know what the decision is.
    some people said you would get an email if you got accepted BEFORE the letter came in the mail. Havent gotten this "email" yet. What about anyone else?
  • pierrechnpierrechn - Posts: 1,505 Senior Member
    @klparker
    baylor is private? so i would think it is more selective, and at a private school TOP 10 doesnt matter, so this lets them accept whoeverr they want, UT and A&M are only very selective because at UT over 70% of the kids are top 10 and A&m 50% which means they have less seats to fill anyway
    PInky you could get in, as long as you have good essays, but other than that you should get waitlist if you dont get in, SAT scores are not everything, people only have amazingly high scores because they are nerds that study all day for it
  • aGGieENGiNeeRaGGieENGiNeeR Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    Baylor is a joke to get into in comparison to UT/A&M. Sorry. Have to say that.

Pink: I agree with Xcellerator. And you are right, their standards aren't as high as they should be. It is a crying shame.
    pierrechn wrote:
    people only have amazingly high scores because they are nerds that study all day for it

Are you kidding me? That is such an ignorant statement. I did not buy one single ACT/SAT book or class, play sports for a lot of my day, and still scored very well.
    what did you get ? and when i say amazing score i am talking about 1800 and up

and how is Baylor a joke? UT and A&M have less seats, so they obviously would only want the top kids in those seats at UT alone just 30% are out of top 10(so it is suppose to be harder to get into) while A&M should be easier
This discussion has been closed.