Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Non top 10%

Replies to: Non top 10%

• aGGieENGiNeeRaGGieENGiNeeR Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    hahah? You think an 1800 total score is amazing? Thats enough said.

Ok, so I have friends top 40 percent, maybe 1100 CR-M who got into Baylor easily months ago.
  • AdambombAdambomb Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    My ex got a 2160 on the SAT, and she certainly doesn't fit that description.
  • pierrechnpierrechn - Posts: 1,505 Senior Member
    yea im sure they applied before the early action deadline, and 1100 isnt bad, what did you get on the SAT imo a 1500 is good,
  • Grcxx3Grcxx3 Registered User Posts: 2,072 Senior Member
    <<1100 isnt bad>..... << imo a 1500 is good, >>

Do you mean a 1100 on CR+M and a 1500 on all 3 parts?
    yea in my opinion a 1500 is good, yea a 1500 is good for someone atleast in the top 25% now if they are lower, then a 1500 probably wont do them any good
  • XcelleratorXcellerator Registered User Posts: 1,678 Senior Member
    pinktye03 wrote:
    Um, ya, my school is pretty competitive, you have to apply to go there, so we have a small class, but to even break top 10% you have to have 4.0 or a 96 on a 100 point scale.
    But you seem to think very highly of A&M standards, which I have heard time and time again that are not that high. I mean of course it is a great school not to mention tied for my #1 choice, but it is not as near as selective as UT or Baylor.

If your school was really competitive, it would have shown in your tests scores. You should have taken the ACT if you didn't do well on the SAT. It doesn't matter what GPA or grade you have to get for a particular school because all schools are NOT equal.
    A&M's standards are not at all high. I actually think it's pretty easy to get accepted here. I'm just giving you my opinion based my experiences/knowledge.
    And Baylor is not selective at all. That school accepts almost everyone that I know of. It's just too expensive for a mediocre private school, therefore making more competitive applicants have a less incentive to apply (unless they could get a full ride/big scholarships).

pieerechn - Lol. I agree with aggieengineer. An 1800 is an amazing score? Wow. No comment.
    A&M and UT have wayyy more seats than Baylor, just fyi.
    <<yea in my opinion a 1500 is good, yea a 1500 is good for someone atleast in the top 25%>>

You're delusional.
  • jrt336jrt336 Registered User Posts: 1,044 Senior Member
    1500 is a good score not counting the Writing section. 2100+ is "good" for all 3.
    jrt336 - I wouldn't go that far. 2100 for all 3 (assuming about a 700 on each part is VERY good). I would say 1800 (600 on each) is the MINIMUM needed to be considered good.
    a 1500 is good enough to get you into a Decent/Good school in Texas and plenty of other states, now when its an ivy get your 2100 but if it aint IVY and you got a 2100 ur at the wrong school

UT AND A&M do not have more seats than baylor in their freshman class, over half of their seats are filled through top 10, so that leaves what around 3500-4000? seats? correct me if im wrong? btw im talking about the seats left over for UT

and for most schools in Texas a 1500 is good enough, if 50% of the people that take the SAT get a 1500 it obviously isnt a bad score
    pierrechn - I will say that the folks on CC who stress out because they have a 760 and not an 800 in a given area are wacky, but if you think an individual score of 500 is "good" - I repeat - you are delusional.

A score of 500 in any given area is okay, but it's not good.
    its good enough to get you in School, i think that the SAT is better for states that dont have a top 10 rule, since in Texas Top 10 is essentially what gets you in, but then again i think every state should have a similar rule
  • jrt336jrt336 Registered User Posts: 1,044 Senior Member
    The 2100 might be a bit extreme. So should we say 1900ish?
  • jmre77jmre77 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Lol, talk about needing sensitivity training.

pierrechn- a 1500 overall score is very average. To get colleges like UT and A&M's attention you would need a 1900, or better. UT's standards are obviously higher than A&M's, but that does not necessarily make it a better school.

I got accepted to the best journalism school in the country, and the oldest in the world on a 1710 SAT.

It is a fact that SAT's are not everything. My problem with Texas schooling is that they put too much pressure on standardized testing. In my opinion tests do not reflect the amount of intelligence and potential a person has.
    @yea probably for UT and A&M mainly because of the Top 10 rule, just imagine what their means would be like without it? every student would probably have a decent shot if they were well rounded with decent scores

i agree with you they worry to much about the TAKS test which is not hard at all compared to the SAT, i just wonder why some kids at my school cant pass it/ i mean if they cant pass that then they surely wont do to well on the SAT

but i do think a test can measure intelligence to a certain degree, but then again alot of people just flat out dont try their best to make a great scores
This discussion has been closed.