Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Non top 10%

Replies to: Non top 10%

• pinktye03pinktye03 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    @Xcellerator: I'm sorry, do you attend my school? I am just one student, who happened not to do well on my SAT's.
    And really is there a such thing as a competitive PUBLIC high school?, maybe one that is magnet, and there are also ones that have no incentive at all. But in general, they are all about the same.
    Also, chances are, if you attend A&M, of course you are going to say Baylor is not selective. Which I disagree.
  • aGGieENGiNeeRaGGieENGiNeeR Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    There is such thing as a competitive public high school.
  • aggie2014aggie2014 Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    i have some stats for yall. Baylor is not very selective at all. Just so everyone knows. I have friends who got a 21 on the ACT and got into Baylor. And i have friends who got waitlisted at A&M with 27s. so Baylor isnt that selective.
  • klparker312klparker312 Registered User Posts: 970 Member
    pinktye03 - the reason I say baylor isn't a selective school is: Everyone I know who applied to Baylor has been accepted, within 3 days.... I have never heard of anyone being rejected admission to Baylor.
  • ag54ag54 Registered User Posts: 2,909 Senior Member
    Lots of kids outside of top 10% at my son's hs found out over spring break that they got in. Most were either just inside or just out of the top 1/4. His best friend was about 30%, but decent scores - got in undeclared.

They are from a competitive public highschool, a historical "feeder" type to A&M and UT, where out of the 469 kids, usually around 200 get accepted to either A&M or UT or both, and many kids use them as safeties. So, yes, there are competitive PUBLIC highschools. They are schools that send a ton of kids and the kids do well, they are prepared for, and capable of, the rigor of college work, and the admissions people know this.

Oh, and I get why you were saying PUBLICs are "all about the same" and if it's good, must be magnet, etc, but in areas where both parents are college educated and expect excellence from both their children and from the schools they attend, you are going to have "competitive" public highschools.
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Registered User Posts: 19,410 Senior Member
    aggieengineer, you must not get out much. ;)
    Actually I do, I am a state ranked tennis player, travel all around Texas for it, go out with friends every weekend, have a gf of nearly 2 years etc etc. So pleassee, if you want to say that about me go right ahead, but you don't know me.
  • pierrechnpierrechn - Posts: 1,505 Senior Member
    Their are plenty great public highschools throughout the country, but people spend thousands of dollars on private schools so they need 2 be better
  • Grcxx3Grcxx3 Registered User Posts: 2,072 Senior Member
    Just because private schools cost money doesn't necessarily mean they are better.
    @Grcxxx well then why do people like to send their kids to private schooL? and im just assuming you get what you pay for
  • STVSTV Registered User Posts: 103 Junior Member
    There are some really good public schools that just happen to be located in rich areas, where only the wealthy can afford to live, and those schools are traditionally very good. A prime example would be Highland Park High School.
    @STV yea HP is a pretty good school, yea most of the schools in decent areas usually are good. Townview is a good school, its not really in a good area though, Booker T, Duncanville,Plano HS(east and west) and probably the other ones that are further out their like Frisco
  • Grcxx3Grcxx3 Registered User Posts: 2,072 Senior Member
    pierrechn - you DO get what you pay for. But sometimes, what people want to pay for isn't necessarily related to better academics.

FYI - I went to a private school - and a very good one. But not all of them are academically strong.
    I can attest to Plano HS (all 3). They have some tough competition. HP is also notorious in that regard. Allen and Frisco are also pretty solid but not even close to those others I mentioned.
    yeah most districts that only have 1-3 High-schools, are usually competitive (their High-schools)

if Dallas ISD wasnt so spread out im sure all their High-schools in terms of competitiveness would be very tough
This discussion has been closed.