Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Non top 10%

jmre77jmre77 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
edited April 2010 in Texas A&M University
I'm ranked 57/488.. 9 out of the top ten. 3.6 gpa 1710 SAT 1100 CR&M did all three essays and sent letters of recommendation. My extra-curriculars were pretty solid. I applied to the liberal arts school.. first choice: communication. second choice: Telecommunication MediaStudies. What're my chances.. and has anyone else not top 10% heard from A&M?
Post edited by jmre77 on

Replies to: Non top 10%

• pierrechnpierrechn - Posts: 1,505 Senior Member
    i think you could get in, only 50% of A&Ms kids are top 10 and 37% are review admits , im still waiting to hear my self
  • XcelleratorXcellerator Registered User Posts: 1,678 Senior Member
    Ouch. That's a solid rank with below average test scores. You might get in if you applied early. There are plenty of applicants who are outside top 10% and got in already (especially if they were an academic admit). Your chances are below average. I'd say about 33% chance. You'll most likely be waitlisted...
    @Xcellerator how are you so sure? its not like hes applying to UT? 70% top 10
    and the average SAT score is like 501 in each section so how is he below average?
    Lots of students from my school love A&M. A couple of friends of mine last year applied with similar rank and test scores and were waitlisted, but got in eventually.

The average SAT score is a ~1210 M/CR. A&M only looks at the M/CR scores...
  • jmre77jmre77 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    I'm a girl. :) and I applied to the liberal arts college.. is it really that competitive?
    Not really. I don't really know anything about the communication/telecommunication dept., but liberal arts is the easiest to get into.
    with that in mind you still think i have a 33% chance? i had great recommendations and 30 DC hours. What's your major?
    i think u could get in Liberal Arts, i picked Psychology myself but will probably choose Poly Sci
  • VyseVyse Registered User Posts: 1,875 Senior Member
    The average nationwide may be 500 per section, but A&M is a tier one school, so you expect the SAT average to be higher than the national average. In fact, its ~1200 on Math/CR which is higher than the OP got.
    o ok i will be glad when other Texas Universities get Tier 1 status, we have plenty schools with enough students
  • colorfulgiraffecolorfulgiraffe Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    i also wasn't in top 10%. I had similar stats, but I was in top quarter (278/1329).
    I waited almost 6 months to get accepeted. I probably would've waited longer if not for my 30 on the act to bump from review-->auto admit applicant.

nevertheless, you have pretty decent stats! youll most likely get accepted
    jmre77 - Still a 33% chance, yes. It will depend a lot of other things too. I'm a freshman Biology major...
    Well.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I had one "average" essay and one "above average" essay.. a director from UT told me that.
  • zonor12098zonor12098 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I am an out-of-state review admit. I am in the top 15%, my ACT was 30, 26 math and 30 english. I applied in November, and I heard back January 11th. I'm an English major.. I really don't think the liberal arts school is that hard of one to get into :]

I talked to an admissions officer in November and I asked her when I would hear back. She said that if you applied before Thanksgiving/Winter Break you would hear back sooner. Because they have SO many applications coming in during the winter months, people who apply then don't usually hear back until mid-March. :] you should hear soon!!
This discussion has been closed.