Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Textbook Disclosure Law

AllThisIsNewToMeAllThisIsNewToMe Registered User Posts: 2,276 Senior Member
edited July 2010 in Texas A&M University
Supposedly now all public universities are required to disclose the ISBN's of any required course materials. I had heard about this once before, so I tried googling and found this link:

Federal Textbook Disclosure Rules Now Law | Disruptive Library Technology Jester

I want to find out how they will be disclosing the info at A&M (law goes into effect 7/1/2010). Any ideas on how we can find out?

I can't bear the thought of paying those exhorbitant bookstore prices when there are so many online options!!
Post edited by AllThisIsNewToMe on

Replies to: Textbook Disclosure Law

• boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,333 Forum Champion
    They didn't disclose that stuff already? Just go to the bookstore's website and put in the classes you are taking and it will give you the list of books you need. I am sure the ISBN is already on there. FWIW, I haven't really found better prices anywhere for new textbooks (and there aren't a ton of used ones for graduate level textbooks so I am kind of screwed there).
  • klparker312klparker312 Registered User Posts: 970 Member
    no the MSC will not give you the UIN for the textbooks
    Do a google search. It is very easy. You should try it sometime. Just go to google or amazon and type the title and author. Bingo.

It gives you: Title, Author, Edition, Publisher

If you can't find the book online with all of that information, then good luck in college. Find it on Amazon and get the ISBN off of there if you absolutely must have it, but I suspect that if you find it there, you probably won't need the ISBN anymore.
  • AllThisIsNewToMeAllThisIsNewToMe Registered User Posts: 2,276 Senior Member
    Guess your name says it all boneh3ad. We all know how to get an ISBN from a book title. The question is how to get the books required for a course before the semester starts. The new law says that a public university must make that information public.
  • oosmomoosmom Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    That's really not necesssary, Allthis. Boneh3ad is exactly right. I did just what he said. Go to the MSC bookstore webpage. They let you enter your courses and then tell you what books you need (if they know yet). Then you can search online using that info. You don't need the codes as far as I can see. Or just wait till you go to your NSC, go to the bookstore and look at them yourself.
    you can't look at the books at the MSC bookstore - and most of the bookstores dont keep the books on the floor
    Guess your name says it all boneh3ad. We all know how to get an ISBN from a book title. The question is how to get the books required for a course before the semester starts. The new law says that a public university must make that information public.

Read what oosmom just said. You clearly missed the link or something on the MSC website where it lets you search for classes. If it doesn't have a book for a certain class, either one isn't required, or the professor hasn't turned the book requirements into the university yet.
    klparker23 wrote:
    you can't look at the books at the MSC bookstore - and most of the bookstores dont keep the books on the floor

Sure you can... just not right now. MSC usually doesn't open the textbook section up until a couple weeks before classes start and then only leaves it open for a couple weeks after classes start. Considering it is now June 22nd and we are still over 2 full months from the beginning of classes, it isn't surprising that they may not have it open right now.
    That was not the case last year.
  • gsteingstein Registered User Posts: 1,493 Senior Member

Yes it was, that's been the case atleast since I started at TAMU in Fall of '07.

Just for everyone's information, you can get the details off other websites as well... not just the MSC. Textbook Solutions is a good, cheap local alternative for example.

I assure you that it was like that last year. I got my books last year about 8 days before classes started in the fall. It took a couple weeks before I went to MSC to buy a shirt and noticed that the textbooks were closed off. It was also like that this winter, when I got my books a week or so early and then walked in and bought another one that I found out about later after a week or so of classes.
    July 1, 2010 - ISBN is right there on the MSC Bookstore website with the textbook :)
  • liveitup278liveitup278 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey guys,

I HATE the bookstores. I hate getting ripped off every single semester!

My friend told me about Textbreak.com

It's pretty damn cool. I listed books at my own price and a friend of mine actually was signed up and messaged me because she needed my book.

I bought the book for $170 and the bookstore offered me $20 for it. I listed it on Textbreak for $50 and SOLD it.

It's all free too.

Just a heads up.
This discussion has been closed.