Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

1160 cr+m sat?

ccundecidedccundecided Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
edited July 2010 in Texas A&M University
I'm an incoming senior and I just got my SAT scores. I got a 1860, with 580 CR, 570 M and 710 W. I'm a minority in the top 16% of my high school class, heavily involved in extracurriculars, 3.9 UW GPA. I'm planning on applying to A&M in early August and listing it as my first choice. I am applying to Mays Business School.

What are my chances of getting into Mays at Texas A&M? Should I retake my SAT?
Post edited by ccundecided on

Replies to: 1160 cr+m sat?

• gxgal7gxgal7 Registered User Posts: 272 Junior Member
    Definitely retake your SAT. Also try the ACT. You did fantastic on your W portion, so I know you've got the potential to bring the other two sections up. You might consider taking a test prep course. You just need to bring your CR and M scores up about 80 points each, and you'll be an automatic admit. The business school fills up pretty early in the rolling admissions process, so the sooner you can get in your improved test scores the better.
  • ccundecidedccundecided Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    Do you think I would get in with these scores?
  • aggiemom2011aggiemom2011 Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    I don't think there is any way you will get into Mays with your current test scores, so it will be essential for you to retake the test, and bring up both of those to at least 600, particularly the math. Being a minority might help, and your GPA and class rank are good, but they will look at the competitiveness of your high school when evaluating these, if you aren't an automatic admit. Also, they will look at your course load. Have you taken many AP courses? Hopefully you have a strong senior year schedule too. Also, have you done any of the "extras" that they like to see? Visited campus, visited a prospective student center in your area?
  • aGGieENGiNeeRaGGieENGiNeeR Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    You should retake the SAT so that you will not be having to question whether they are good enough.
  • klparker312klparker312 Registered User Posts: 970 Member
    I do not think you will get into Mays with the scores and class rank you have. Do take it again and take the ACT as well. Mays is very competative and you are going to be lucky to just get admitted to A&M with your scores and rank.
    And you should go to Mays and do an official campus visit. I suggest you go to a remote admissions center if you havent already done so, the admissions people are very helpful and I believe can boost your admission.
  • aGGieENGiNeeRaGGieENGiNeeR Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    the rank is not the biggest issue. it is ok but not great. It ultimately comes down to that test score.
  • XcelleratorXcellerator Registered User Posts: 1,678 Senior Member
    You have a decent chance to get into the school itself. Longshot for Mays. Retake the SAT and then apply as soon as possible.
  • ccundecidedccundecided Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    I've taken 4 AP classes so far and I'm taking 4 my senior year. I have a lot of extracurriculars under my belt. I plan on going to a prospective student center by the end of this summer, and I'm applying in early August. I'm captain of my school's debate squad. A representative for college admissions from A&M came and visited my schools and said Mays was a "first come, first serve" major. Is this true?

Thank you everyone for your advice so far!
  • Reveille2013Reveille2013 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Perhaps that may hold some truth, but I would not bet on you being accepted with those scores. These boards at collegeconfidential.com have some of the best threads I've ever seen on how to prepare for the SAT, and they helped my SAT score tremendously (so much that I was accepted in Rice). I'd HIGHLY urge you to look around this site for some of the great people that take their time to break down the SAT for you. It will payoff.
  • texasCollegetexasCollege Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    what are my chances of getting into A&m

1170/ Cr + M
    top 25%
    taken 5 ap classes so far
    played football
    other EC's

can i also get some tips on how to improve CR, im having a tough time improving.
  • klparker312klparker312 Registered User Posts: 970 Member
    texas College - take the ACT
This discussion has been closed.