Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Northwestern?

uknowyouluvme39uknowyouluvme39 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
edited October 2010 in Theater/Drama Majors
I am researching Northwestern and don't really understand the theater department situation... It looks like the School of Communication has a Theater Major and then the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences has a Drama Major. Does anyone know what the difference is? I am pursuing ACTING specifically. Do any of you know anything about Northwestern's theater department(s)? Which should I apply to?
Post edited by uknowyouluvme39 on

Replies to: Northwestern?

• NJTheatreMOMNJTheatreMOM Registered User Posts: 3,673 Senior Member
    You would pursue a theatre major within the School of Communication.

As described on the website, the drama major is more oriented toward history, theory and literature.

On the other hand, as a theatre major: "You’ll have the opportunity to study and practice acting, voice, movement, dance, directing, design, stage production, playwriting and dramaturgy, along with theatre history, literature and criticism."

The fact that the Department of Theatre offers an MFA in directing, as well as a BA in dance (another performance-based discipline), is a tip-off that it is the department you're looking for.
  • megpmommegpmom Registered User Posts: 3,114 Senior Member
    Ditto. School of Communications. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.