Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Best graduate acting program?

cocobean21cocobean21 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited July 2011 in Theater/Drama Majors
Hello!

So I am about to be a senior in college, and I am already researching graduate schools. I want to attend a graduate program in acting, particularly film/television acting. Are there any good programs that you would recommend? This is open to professionals, amateurs, future actors like me, etc. I want lots of answers and opinions, please!

Also, I live in Texas, but I want to go somewhere either in the West or up North for a change.

Thank you!
Post edited by cocobean21 on

Replies to: Best graduate acting program?

• stargurl93stargurl93 Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    Hey Cocobean. I am in about the same situation. The issue with going to grad school is that the intention is usually for someone that wants to go for stage/Broadway. Dont get me wrong there are gats schools like USC, UCLA,Cal Arts, Rutgers, that teach film acting but not usually til the thrid/last year of grad.

Also, grad is open to everyone but it is hard and competitive to get into. As long as you have you vachelors degree.
  • complexlifecomplexlife Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    NYU Graduate Acting Program, Yale School of Drama, Juilliard Drama Divison, Brown Trinity Rep.
  • fishbowlfreshmanfishbowlfreshman Registered User Posts: 827 Member
    I've said many times on here that I believe the best screen actors are stage trained and still stand by it, but you need to be a "theatre first" person to survive in an intensive theatre training program. Really, it's theatre, theatre THEATRE 24/7. You might be better off training in the LA studios for that as long as you've already acquired a good basic acting technique wherever you are. You'd really be better off asking around on Backstage.com for info on that. Just sayin' ...

Here's a link to a list I actually grabbed from there a couple of years ago ... http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/theater-drama-majors/950803-non-scholastic-training-la-nyc.html
This discussion has been closed.