Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Good or Bad BA Programs?

musique214musique214 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
edited July 2011 in Theater/Drama Majors
Does anyone know anything about the quality of the theater programs at Clark, Loyola University of Chicago, Loyola University- New Orleans, Rhodes College, University of North Texas, UT Austin, or Austin College? I read about them, but I would love to hear any opinions or insight.
Post edited by musique214 on

Replies to: Good or Bad BA Programs?

• AlexaMTAlexaMT Registered User Posts: 610 Member
    I don't know about a lot of these schools, but I can help you with any that are located in Texas!

The music program at UNT is much stronger than the theatre program. UT Austin has a strong theatre and dance department, but the issue comes with the fact that they have a Graduate program, and very few undergrads are cast in any of the shows. A lot of my friends who go there feel they recieve good training, but are given slim opportunities outside of the classroom. Austin is a strong city for theatre, however, and there are many productions outside of the school to audition for. The University of Houston also has a strong theatre program, but it has the same MFA issue that UT Austin has.

If you're interested in Texas for theatre BA's, I would also recommend looking at:

1. St. Edward's University in Austin, TX (BA in Theatre Arts with various specializations)
    2. Southwestern University in Georgetown, TX (BA in Theatre, also a non-audition BFA)
    3. Texas A&M at Chorpus Christi (BA in Theatre Arts with various emphasis, or BA in Theatre that leads to a teaching certificate)

Texas State University, Sam Houston State University, Baylor University, and Texas Christian University also offer strong BFA degrees in various areas of theatre, so pursuing a BA at one of those schools might also be helpful. One may feel like a "lesser" student, however, in comparisson and so I often tell people to avoid BA programs at BFA Audition schools, especially if they auditioned and were not accepted.

Best of luck!
  • musique214musique214 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Thank you for all that information! That's really good to know. I suspected that about UNT, since their website says a lot more about their music program than their theatre program. I didn't know that about UT though, so I'll definitely take that into consideration. Do you know anything about the theatre program at Austin College?
  • AlexaMTAlexaMT Registered User Posts: 610 Member
    I know absolutely nothing about the program. I'm not sure if that means anything, but I've never even worked with anyone from there. :/

I also forgot about Rice which has an excellent theatre program- but boy is that a tough school to get into academically! Also forgot SMU (Southern Methodist)- I know this isn't about BFAs, but I'd say they have arguably the best BFA Acting program in Texas.
This discussion has been closed.