Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Just Back from CMU

13»

Replies to: Just Back from CMU

• andrewdhandrewdh Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    How did he like CMU's summer program? for straight acting?
  • ugadog99ugadog99 Registered User Posts: 486 Member
    UNCSA's department: She was very impressed with the facilities available to the students. If you would like more details on the visit as a whole, I'd be glad to share. Just send me a private message.
  • Walker1194Walker1194 Registered User Posts: 1,005 Senior Member
    We also did a sleeping bag weekend at CMU (Hi, Dawg!). My D liked the department, faculty and the students. She absolutely hated the other kids that were there visiting! They were full of themselves, threw themselves at the current MT students and acted like they were God's gift to the stage. At one point, some current students had to leave to go to some sort of leadership seminar class. All the prospective students went with the kids that went to the seminar except my D. After they had all left, one of the current students leaned over to my D and said, "Good choice. That class blows!". My D just wanted to spend more time with the actual faculty, not a bunch of prospective students who thought that just by knowing someone currently in the program ensured their admission. My D also did not get to stay with an MT major. She was with a music major (violin, cello) and as such, couldn't really answer any questions about MT.

I'd also like to to comment that we found the info session run by the department to be less than helpful. The dean was an industrial design guy and knew about that, but not much in the way of specifics about MT, Acting, D&P or music. We personally didn't have questions about the program (we've done our research), but many students and parents did. I felt sorry for the people that really wanted some specific info but couldn't get it there.
  • supportivesupportive Registered User Posts: 441 Member
    Walker- you described a kid from my daughter's class last year that is a freshman at CMU in MT. This is a kid who has always gotten whatever he wanted, got parts that he didn't even audition for, had teachers change his grades so he could get into college, cheated on his multiple girlfriends, skipped school, did drugs..... you name it. I'm hoping he discovers that guess what- he's not the bomb diggity. He can dance and act but his singing voice is flat and he cannot harmonize- because that would mean he's have to work with someone else. Okay, stepping off my soap box now!
    @supportive - then how the heck did he get into CMU if he can't sing?
    Walker- because he has potential and he chose songs that were strong acting songs with not much range and he can charm. He does have some charisma- I'll give him that. I do believe you can fake 32 bars- I have seen it happen plenty of times. However, he could never make it through an entire song without cracking or going flat. That's what happens when you're a smoker. Also, in an audition, you don't have to harmonize with anyone. Also- he's a boy and we all know that the competition isn't nearly as tough for them as it is with the girls. On another note, the boy who won the national Jimmy Award is also a freshman at CMU in MT and he is AMAZING! He is well-respected and has a very strong work ethic. That boy CAN sing,act, and dance. I have seen him perform and watched jaws drop in the audience. Plus, he is humble- not cocky.
    Yes, he was one of the boys that the prospective students were flinging themselves at... my D met him, said he was nice, and she was done with him :). He puts his pants on one leg at a time too!
    Exactly Walker! Luckily he really is a nice and humble guy who really works hard for everything he has gotten. He's nothing like the kid from my daughter's school.
  • dramamom0804dramamom0804 Registered User Posts: 801 Member
    Mountainhiker - my husband went to CMU for mechanical engineering and my daughter will be applying next year for acting. I visited my husband at CMU alot when he was there. There is not much interaction between the schools. If you are in the performing arts school you will interact almost exclusively with performing arts kids. They are just so busy there isn't much time for anything else.
    Aside from acting, CMU is very hard to get into academically and attracts very serious students. As someone else said, it is not a party school. However, my husband loved it and we both loved Pittsburgh. Nice city.
  • prodesseprodesse Registered User Posts: 1,223 Senior Member
    What about in the dorms? Is that a mixture of all the student populations?
  • theater momtheater mom Registered User Posts: 535 Member
    My daughter shared a dorm room with a music major and liked her a lot but it didn't last past freshman year when they both moved off campus with friends from their own departments. So it was a little bit mixed but still in the College of Fine Arts.

What seems to unite students at CMU is that they are all passionate about their subjects. It is not a school for a well-rounded liberal arts education.
13»
This discussion has been closed.