Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Wow - he's really leaving home . . .

MarbleheaderMarbleheader Registered User Posts: 694 Member
edited March 2013 in Theater/Drama Majors
Who the heck is going to shovel from now on?!?!?! LOL! Another 8 inches at present and it's still snowing.

Wishing for spring, then it'll be summer, and . . . wow, he's really leaving home.
Post edited by Marbleheader on

Replies to: Wow - he's really leaving home . . .

• RobolotoRoboloto Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    @Marbleheader-DH & I finally agreed on the vehicle to get for DS so we bought it...then following him home, I realized we had just given him his means of escape in August. The vehicle is going back to the dealer immediately!
  • MarbleheaderMarbleheader Registered User Posts: 694 Member
    LOL! Isn't it crazy! We have an older daughter, but I don't see her fleeing, like I see our son. I hope he takes at least one look back as he heads out, but I'm not sure that's going to happen.

But that's why we had the kids, right? To send them off! So don't take the car back, just get used to watching those tail-lights.
  • Times3Times3 Registered User Posts: 1,373 Senior Member
    Ah, Marbleheader, at least he's not going THAT far away (at least, not this fall)...And yeah, my S is ready to move out to Ohio today. He will not have a car, by the way...and who's gonna carry the heavy bags of dog food into the house? I feel your pain! :O
  • austinmtmomaustinmtmom Registered User Posts: 2,358 Senior Member
    Don't worry - he'll be back. With laundry. Lots and lots of laundry ;)
    HA! Funny story - when he went off to BUSTI last summer, I wrote down how to do the laundry for him. He came back and told me I was crazy coz all the other boys just washed everything all together in cold water. Now, BU does not have AC in the dorm rooms or the classrooms and last summer was wicked hot. So I'm sure those "freshly" laundered clothes still stunk!

Here's hoping he figures out how to do the laundry - correctly!
  • Times3Times3 Registered User Posts: 1,373 Senior Member
    ^^I was THRILLED that my son did his laundry *at all* last summer! :D On the other hand, he's known how to do it since he could reach the buttons on the washing machine (third kid, 9 years younger than the oldest, I was "done" by then). Goal for this summer: learn to drive...
    Goodness, Times3 - we are in the same boat. NEITHER of my kids can drive, and have no desire to learn. That is our goal, too. Hubby is thinking to giving them at date to get the license by, and after that we won't give them any more rides!
  • ActingDadActingDad Registered User Posts: 680 Member
    Must be something about acting kids and driving. My daughter will turn 18 in June and she doesn't drive yet either. My son is two grades behind her (though only 16 months younger) and he'll probably be driving before her.

I was anxious to get her driving this summer but after talking to my insurance agent, I'm having big time doubts. We have 3 cars -- one of which is a classic hand me down car for a high school kid (a Buick Century that was my mother-in-law's car). But if my son and daugther both get their licenses this summer, we will have 4 drivers for 3 cars. In that scenario, the insurance company allocates the drivers to put the worst driver (son or daughter) on the only new car we have and spikes our rates big time. How absurd is that espcially if my daugther is away and won't have a car? As I said to our agent, do have to buy a $500 piece of ___ that won't even drive to put it in the driveway so I can say that is her car to keep our rates down?
  • pennmompennmom Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    Our insurance company has a "student away at school" class specifically for kids who probably won't be driving except for the occasional school break, and it is much cheaper. Have you checked into that?
  • Eve848Eve848 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    Not driving? That's insane! I'd have gone crazy by now without my license and car. Phew. On the other topic, as much as my parents have done for me over the past 17 years, I'm ready to get out and barrel headfirst toward my future.
  • glassharmonicaglassharmonica Registered User Posts: 3,344 Senior Member
    Driving-- depends on where you live. We live in a city and my oldest daughter just got her license last month at age 26. (She did have a permit for 8 year, but never got around to taking the test.) My acting daughter (#4 was the first to get a license at 17, mainly so she could drive to rehearsals and her coach's house.)
  • glassharmonicaglassharmonica Registered User Posts: 3,344 Senior Member
    About insurance-- I put 3 new drivers on our policy (D2, 3, and 4-- D1 has her own policy) last year. I made a lot of calls, and our insurance agent finally offered to redo all of our policies, cancelling out everything and redoing from scratch with home, auto, etc., and we were able to work our a deal that was lower than any other quote.
  • acting720acting720 Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    My S just got his license in July at age 17.5 and has been driving to school all year. But now he is likely moving to NYC in the fall. I will check into that "student away at school" rate. Thanks for that pennmom! And we get to sell a car! That is a bonus to having a kid at school in Manhattan! :) (Unless he gets into another school and this conversation changes...)
  • mom2galsmom2gals Registered User Posts: 307 Member
    yes that student away at school is good, if they happen to drive a friend's car while at school it is covered by the driver's car. Only problem is to remember to call up and reinstate if they are home for more than a weekend. We actually left the coverage intact coz D1 was home all January and now back in March, as well as drove with us when we visited her. Both my D's got their license ASAP and drove immediately and it has been the best thing for their independence.
    Laundry, I"ve been compulsive about separating darks and certain colors especially reds.
    My D called would call me from college and whine about why I make her separate her jeans from her other clothes and reds etc; until, she called with a story. Her roommate washed all her clothes together, as she wanted to do for years , and the jeans and the reds all blended together with the whites, ruining all her new clothes that she took to college this year. I haven't heard a complaint since.
    Marbleheader, you will be surprised, Comm Ave is along journey from Kenmore Sq to West Village. He will be occupying himself by calling you and you will come on here and tell me that I'm right! And where he is so close you can easily come to see his shows and meet him to get a break from school food outside of his allowance. You'll see ;)
    Oh, I know . . . but he isn't going to sit and watch Smash with me next year. But all kidding aside, I am thrilled for him, and all the kids on CC. They have so much excitement ahead of them (yes, lots of work too)!
This discussion has been closed.