Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Decline Offers: When?


Replies to: Decline Offers: When?

  • ResrchMomResrchMom Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    I don't think it will be that long. The program director told her she's 2nd on the list, and that he thinks she will probably get off the list by late April. I don't know why he would give someone that kind of encouragement if it weren't very likely. And I've already heard of several girls who were offered places have been accepted to other schools such as Juilliard and Rutgers. So, I think it will happen sooner than later. We will certainly not be flippant about declining offers. But she has four already, so she should be able to decline two comfortably.
  • vivalaben2012vivalaben2012 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    Being a person that recently found out they were put on a waitlist, the sooner you make your decision, the sooner I can make mine.
  • Times3Times3 Registered User Posts: 1,373 Senior Member
    ^^Since accepted students have till May 1 to accept or decline their offer, you my not hear about your wait-list situation until after that reply date. It depends on the college. Some of them accept a low number and go to the waitlist early, but many schools overaccept and don't even begin to look at the waitlist till after May 1st. I'm not saying this to discourage anyone--in fact, quite the opposite--in many cases, it isn't realistic to expect that each "no" response wlll instantly lead to an offer for someone waiting. Please be patient! :)
  • amtcamtc Registered User Posts: 2,864 Senior Member
    Things happen and sometimes a kid has to "drop out" of a chosen college mid-summer or later. It's called the "summer melt" and that will create a domino effect. Please choose and fall in love with a college where you were accepted and forget about the ones where you were waitlisted. Should something open up, great, make your decision then. You may surprise yourself and decide to stay with the one you chose on May 1. As Times3 said, it's unrealistic to look for that one-to-one exchange.
  • acting720acting720 Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    Roosevelt/CCPA waitlist letter said they will let people know by May 2.
  • EmmyBetEmmyBet Registered User Posts: 2,934 Senior Member
    What's really hard in this process is the long-term dealing with the unknown. Some people would rather stick with options that are more reliable. By definition, theatre kids have to be OK with less reliable standards, because they so often choose auditioned programs with non-objective measures.

    I guess my only opinion at this point is to know what you're getting into, accept the unknown, embrace what's in hand, and be ready for surprises. This isn't easy, especially for many teenagers - and adults, too.

    I'll share our WL story from last year: D was rejected by the handful of schools she felt had it "all." She turned down one WL, knowing she had better choices. She stayed on one WL because it presented an option she didn't have otherwise, and we all understood that if she decided to take a spot (if offered) we'd lose a deposit we'd already made.

    She then weighed the many excellent choices she did have. By the decision deadline, she chose and put her deposit on the school that best met her criteria and that she felt best about, as well as being one of her lowest-cost options. In early May, she was offered a spot from the WL she had accepted. After much discussion and weighing of options, she chose to stay with the school she had initially chosen. Having gotten off the WL and knowing she'd had that choice was very empowering for her. Since she already had gone through several weeks of a difficult choice, it really didn't make things harder; in fact, we'd always included that school in the decision-making process, just in case.

    There is no perfect answer on how to decide these things. Remember, too, that once you have decided, you might end up with factors you could never have anticipated. Some percentage of students decide to transfer, take leaves of absence, etc. No one should fear they will be judged if they don't take a linear path through college. It's OK to wonder if you've made the right choice - try to keep an open mind, faith in yourself and your feelings, and your eye on what's most important to you.
  • ResrchMomResrchMom Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    Thanks for your wisdom EmmyBet!
  • EmmyBetEmmyBet Registered User Posts: 2,934 Senior Member
    Gosh - just noticed I said "last year." It was two years ago! Yikes!
  • ugadog99ugadog99 Registered User Posts: 486 Member
    Just an FYI: Roosevelt/CCPA was the school where my D's friend didn't get admitted off the waitlist until July last year.
  • ResrchMomResrchMom Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    My D sent in two declines last week (first week of April). One department head actually emailed her to thank her for letting them know so quickly. Since she has two top choices, it was pretty easy to do. I know how badly she wants to be accepted off her wait list, and I know others are waiting, too. So, for those two programs that only take 4 and 6 each, I'm quite sure they got on the phone and called someone from their wait lists.

    I know everyone has various factors--still visiting, still waiting for FA, FA appeals, have only one choice and a waitlist, etc, so not everyone can send in their declines yet.
  • AlexaMTAlexaMT Registered User Posts: 645 Member
    Now is the time! I'm in quite a few of these Facebook groups with students currently auditioning and I see them posting their "final decisions" they COMMITTED to but they are still up on our board because we haven't heard a word! Yes, you have until May 1st but if you know for SURE- tell the school! It helps everyone in the long run.
  • acting720acting720 Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    So ugadog, do you think CCPA just says they will let you know by May 2, but that is not really what they do? The letter was very definite. It even had May 2 in bold. Weird. Oh well, we decided not to wait on the waitlist school anyway, but still. They shouldn't say a specific date if they don't mean it.
  • ugadog99ugadog99 Registered User Posts: 486 Member
    Well, first, after our experiences with quite a few colleges I've learned that what they say and what they do are very often two different things. For my D's friend, she was waitlisted and did not find out until the first of July that she was off the waitlist. Her situation was a little different. She was waitlisted for MT, but got notification that she could do Acting (notified in July) and then audition again during the year for MT. That is exactly what she did. First semester was Acting. She auditioned for MT and moved into that program 2nd semester. She LOVES her school. However, none of this happened until early-mid July.
  • Jkellynh17Jkellynh17 Registered User Posts: 2,013 Senior Member
    That's interesting. I didn't know you could audition to switch to MT at CCPA.

    We're going to visit Syracuse next week to, er, demonstrate interest. (Probably futile, but it's on the way to Chicago anyway, where we're visiting CCPA and maybe Columbia since it's next door.)
  • acting720acting720 Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    That's actually very good info to have, ugadog, Thank you for that! It solidifies the fact that we made the right decision not to wait on CCPA. Jkellynh17, enjoy your visit! It's a great place; we had a great time there.
This discussion has been closed.