Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

USC School of Dramatic Arts invitation

nifmomnifmom Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
edited April 2013 in Theater/Drama Majors
My son is patiently waiting to hear whether he got into USC's theater program. Today, he received an invitation to USC's School of Dramatic Arts Open House on Saturday, April 13. I wonder if this invitation means anything? It does say at the bottom that the invitation does not constitute admissions into the University or the School of Dramatic Arts, but I do find it odd that he received it and that the deadline to RSVP is April 5th, after the admissions decisions are mailed. Did anyone else's child receive the same thing?
Post edited by nifmom on

Replies to: USC School of Dramatic Arts invitation

• andiefurberandiefurber Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I got one too. I'm not sure what to make of it.
  • nifmomnifmom Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    It would seem a little cruel to send something like this if the child was not going to be admitted.
  • acting17acting17 Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    My S got the same....
  • prodesseprodesse Registered User Posts: 1,389 Senior Member
    We didn't get one. Or at least, not yet. We're on the East coast, where are you?
  • Muttle1Muttle1 Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    My son got one too and he got into the BA program.
  • nifmomnifmom Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    Prodesse, we live on the East Coast. Hopefully yours will arrive soon. Muttle1, how did your son hear about his acceptance? I didn't think they came out until next week.
  • madbeanmadbean Registered User Posts: 3,241 Senior Member
    As you've guessed, this invitation should be filed under Really Good News! My son was admitted to USC BFA Theatre and received that invitation two years ago. It is sent to all who are admitted to Theatre BFA and admitted early for top scholarships to BA. I'm not sure if it gets sent to admitted BA Theatre students who are notified with regular pool.

The event is terrific as it includes a performance of the musical and since that's the first week in April, those invitations go out now. Pretty big hint, because as you all surmise, it would be horrible to invite students to attend a big all-day event at a school they will soon be rejected from!!

In my son's case, btw, he had listed the Theatre BFA as his second choice major since USC has applicants list them. He was (hooray!!) admitted to his first choice film school major which was listed on his admissions certificate in the nice (hooray!) big packet that came in the mail. However, there was no mention of his Theatre major and by that time he was determined to double major if possible. When he called the Theatre School he was told that he was on their Admit list, but it turns out the main Admissions office sorts through all admissions lists from their different Schools and only notifies the student of their first choice major.

Hope this isn't too confusing. Just trying to explain a bit about those mysterious invitations.

And congratulations to all those getting these hints.
  • prodesseprodesse Registered User Posts: 1,389 Senior Member
    Well, since we didn't get a mysterious invitation, I will take the hint -- fortunately we'd already decided against USC.
  • Muttle1Muttle1 Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    My son actually got into the BA theatre program before his Jan audition in NY. At the audition they were surprised he was already accepted because the BA also requires an interview. He got an academic scholarship the dean one. Anyway they said they would notify him soon after re: bfa if he got into the BFA. They didn't so its just the BA theatre offer I believe. He prefers a BFA though especially in a school that offers both. He just got into Northwestern tonight though so he's in happy place after a bummer of a weekend.
  • MarbleheaderMarbleheader Registered User Posts: 694 Member
    Looks like congrats to all the invitation-getters.

And to you too Muttle1 - congrats on Northwestern!
  • AdaQuinceAdaQuince Registered User Posts: 209 Junior Member
    So is BFA Theatre their BFA Acting or are these 2 different programs?
  • andiefurberandiefurber Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm from California, and received the invitation yesterday. I interviewed for a BA degree
  • acting17acting17 Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    We are on the east coast. Auditioned for bfa in ny in jan. Got the invitation today.
  • madbeanmadbean Registered User Posts: 3,241 Senior Member
    Muttle, to my understanding the folks who select the top candidates for academic scholarships are not the same as the BFA auditors, and yet the scholar applicants are notified at the end of January. But, I believe the indication for whether your son (or any applicant) was admitted to the BFA program will not be a certainty until the official admissions packet arrives, as that clarifies the major. Hence, our slight confusion when my son's admissions letter came and listed his film school major only.

I'm hoping those who have received the invitation are feeling guardedly optimistic. The BFA decisions get announced in the admissions packet. And those on the east coast, you may want to give the US mail a chance to get to you in case good news is still coming.

And Muttle1, double congrats to your son. Did Northwestern results just get posted?
  • photomom5photomom5 Registered User Posts: 809 Member
    Congrats to all those who received the mysterious invites and Muttle, yay for Northwestern!!!
This discussion has been closed.