Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can You Reapply?

vivahg11vivahg11 Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
edited August 2013 in Theater/Drama Majors
My daughter who just graduated high school is taking a gap year. This past year she only applied to 2 schools that allowed for a deferment if you are accepted. Carnegie Mellon and Muhlenberg. She knew applied and auditioned to CM just for the experience. She can sing and act but dance experience is nil...Initial visit to school a year prior she liked it but at the audition she didn't like the feel of school for her. So when she got the non-accepted letter she wasn't upset.
She also applied/auditioned to Muhlenberg which was her 1st choice - but got wait listed. The number of student who get off wait list for the entire school is slim only 6 percent of the wait list. I thought she would be upset when she got letter saying unfortunately we can't take you.... but she still wants to reapply for fall 2014. She is doing an internship during her Gap year at a Shakespeare theater company in Massachusetts as well as taking dance classes she didn't get to with her schedule at high school and other things she wants the time to explore.
Can you reapply to a school if you were rejected or didn't make it off the wait list?
She had informed the school she was taking a gap year and was hoping that they would reconsider her for an early early decision but I believe all correspondence that was sent to the Dean wasn't read from the response he wrote back clearly asked questions about points she specifically addressed in her follow-up correspondence to the wait list letter.
She will be applying to a number of schools but Muhlenberg is still her number 1.
Post edited by vivahg11 on

Replies to: Can You Reapply?

• TheRealKEVPTheRealKEVP - Posts: 986 Member
    Of course she can re-apply.

You can always re-apply next year if you didn't get in this year. In some schools re-apply next term, if they admit people at times other than September!

That's one of the things I have been trying to get people to think about when I post to this forum.

There are at least one or two very prestigious acting schools that often take people who didn't get in the first time they auditioned.

Don't ask them to "reconsider". (That's what leads to the sort of confusion you seem to be having with the dean) Start the whole admission process over from from the very beginning. You are not getting in this time, but you still can get in the next round.

If she was waitlisted at Muhlenberg, it really does mean she must have done very well and almost made it--but there was someone else there who got her spot that time. Since that person (who got your daughter's spot) now has started at Muhlenberg, your daughter won't be competing with them!

With all the stuff she is doing in her gap year she is going to do even better the next time she auditions.
  • vivahg11vivahg11 Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    Thank you. She didn't take the news of not getting accepted poorly - she is very positive and just responded by saying "oh well I'll just reapply when I apply with all the other schools I didn't the first time around. As I said the number of wait listed appllicants is for the entire school not just theater majors.... I believe Early Decision is how the majority get into the school from what I've read.
  • dramamom0804dramamom0804 Registered User Posts: 801 Member
    Muhlenberg is a non audition school though. If she didn't get it it is because of her academics. Maybe she needs to take her SAT's again or do some more work on the essay?
    Muhlenberg does have auditions for scholarships. Others on CC have suggested auditioning for the scholarship and if Richter, the head of the department likes you in the scholarship audition, he goes to admissions and requests an acceptance.
  • Times3Times3 Registered User Posts: 1,373 Senior Member
    Mr. Richter's endorsement can help if you have a good audition, but it's far from a guarantee, and he seems to encourage everyone to apply early decision. They definitely take the majority of their incoming class via ED. Their early deadline is pretty late (wasn't it Feb. 1 this past year?) but it IS binding--ED, not EA--so you have to be sure it's what you want.
  • vivahg11vivahg11 Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    My daughter's grades and resume are very good. What is odd is Mr.Richter walked out with my daughter after her audition and stated "She did great". He came out with remark on his own? Why say something like this? He knew she was taking a gap year. Which has left me with the understanding why all the other schools don't allow gap years if admitted.
    Looking back I wish we just would have waited to apply to all schools at the same time.
    It would have been less stressful. I believe early decision is what helps the most.
  • beenthereanddonebeenthereanddone Registered User Posts: 405 Member
    More than any school we looked at Muhlenberg really wants to get to know the students who are applying and feel some love from them. Go and revisit and make sure admissions knows. Interview again. Explain your thinking about being a better candidate with the additional experiences you are having. If you can afford it, apply ED if it is truly the clear first choice. A really high percentage of the incoming class is selected from the ED applications. Let them know how much you want them, let them see your interest and you should see good results. Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.