Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
2»

Replies to: Cal Arts

• ActingDadActingDad Registered User Posts: 680 Member
    Nice to hear from you Milky. Keep us posted.
  • TheRealKEVPTheRealKEVP - Posts: 986 Member
    My experience as a theater undergrad was that I was at school for rehearsal every night until 11 pm. We used to say "why do I have an apartment, they should just put out cots right here in the theater department?"

When I directed, I gave my cast Fridays off, then held a rehearsal for a few hours on Saturday afternoon.
  • glassharmonicaglassharmonica Registered User Posts: 3,241 Senior Member
    At my daughter's program, scheduled rehearsals go until midnight. After that, the space is free for students to use for their collaboration lab. Yep, and they also have 8 AM classes. I think most theater programs are intense. :)
  • shacherryshacherry Registered User Posts: 489 Member
    Are the rehearsals going all school year or do they only happen if the student is cast in a production?
  • NJTheatreMOMNJTheatreMOM Registered User Posts: 3,673 Senior Member
    I'm not sure about CalArts, but at my son's school the freshman and first semester sophomores have to do stagecraft (production assistance) during a great many of the hours earmarked for rehearsal and performance.

The Acting track students are in a show every quarter (guaranteed casting). So are the students in the Theatre Arts BFA track, unless they opt out of casting.

At some schools, the student might be free during the block of time allotted to rehearsal and performances *if* they are not cast and if they are not required to do stagecraft. It would depend on the individual school's policies. In general, a student at a conservatory program cannot expect to have much free time!
  • dramamom0804dramamom0804 Registered User Posts: 801 Member
    I would echo njtheatremom, at many of the schools my D is applying to there is a required class or two freshman year which puts them in rehearsals for tech crew in the evenings. It's called different things at different schools but it seemed to be a common practice. Makes sense to me too; while the freshman are just starting to learn all the new acting techniques and may not make it into shows or may not be allowed to be in shows they might as well learn some of the tech side.
  • FlossyFlossy Registered User Posts: 3,121 Senior Member
    That's all true but it's just during a show and it's not a class as Shacherry was asking. It is frequently required but it's not going on every weekend. Not that they would mind.
    Thanks guys for giving me the run down on how some BFA's might work. I think my son might mind if his program truly ran 15 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week and I will have him look closer at the programs he was thinking about.
  • TheRealKEVPTheRealKEVP - Posts: 986 Member
    In the BA program I attended, you only had to go to rehearsal when you were cast in a production. I don't see how else it work. At a rehearsal, the people who come are the actors in the scene being worked on, the director, stage manager, possibly assistant directors and assistant stage managers, and maybe some sort of expert, usually a faculty member, if you were working on something unusual, eg. the fight choreographer, dance choreographer, dialect coach, whatever.

Then during the "tech" period--traditionally a week--the technical crew are all added.

If you are not one of these people, if you have nothing to do with the show whatsoever, then, no, you are not required to go to the rehearsal. Why would you?

But at least in the program I was in, you auditioned for your NEXT show before the one you were in was finished, and then you started rehearsal for that the moment you were finished with your current show. This only let up when the term ended, but sometimes not even then, sometimes folks rehearsed shows over the between term breaks! This is why we said "just put out cots, we'll sleep here!"
  • dramamom0804dramamom0804 Registered User Posts: 801 Member
    I believe the students work on the crew they are assigned to during the rehearsal periods. So they may be building sets or working on costumes,etc.
    I do want to thank you all for this info. It has given my son something to think about.
2»
This discussion has been closed.