Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I'm Malaysian, I want to be a Hollywood actor. Options?

boeing767boeing767 Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
edited August 2013 in Theater/Drama Majors
I'm 25 years old this year. I did 3 years of college -- actually, undergraduate law school in the National University of Singapore, itself a top-10 law school in the world. I didn't graduate, left school, and ran a small software business for 2 years (up until now). I have sizeable savings to self-fund my education.

I graduated from Raffles Institution, possibly the best high school in the whole of Asia (source: WSJ). My SAT I/II scores are 2,310/2,400 and 2,400/2,400 respectively. They were taken in 2007, however. My high school grades were superb, too -- I graduated top 5% of my class. I maintained a full scholarship throughout college till right before I left.

I want to go to Los Angeles, California, by hook or by crook on a student's visa. I don't care if it's a community college, 2-year college, apprentice school, drama school, anything -- I just want to be in Los Angeles legally as a student. And then go for casting auditions whenever I have the time while I pursue my education on the side.

I'm self-funding, so cost is a major issue; unless there is some financial aid scheme I might qualify for, I'm looking for a cheap school. Prestige is almost immaterial. Bottom line: I'm looking for a cheap and easy-to-get-into school to study acting in Los Angeles, California.

What options do I have? Thanks in advance!
Post edited by boeing767 on

Replies to: I'm Malaysian, I want to be a Hollywood actor. Options?

• TheRealKEVPTheRealKEVP - Posts: 986 Member
    If your main reason for going to school is to get a student visa so you can live in LA (and go to auditions), then I don't think it matters at all what you are majoring in.

I'm concerned that all you are saying is "law school", "good grades", "software business". You don't seem to actually have any acting training or experience. That's what is going to count, and what is going to make a difference. A fantasy about becoming a Hollywood actor will only get you so far. LA is FULL of people just like you, who only have a fantasy, and none of the practical skills or experience to make it a reality.

Is there a film industry in your native country? If you want to be a film actor, maybe you want to start there, and then once you have more experience move to Hollywood.

KEVP
This discussion has been closed.