Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Final Decisions, BACKGROUND, class of 2018

Replies to: Final Decisions, BACKGROUND, class of 2018

• compadvcompadv Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    @bissou So happy for your daughter that she found a place she loves.

@jsh952 Congrats on NYU!
  • nomester7nomester7 Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    Just bumping so we don't loose this thread. Can't wait to hear the final decisions!
  • compadvcompadv Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    @omgcollege101 Congrats! We live in Chicago..it's a great town and DePaul has a fantastic program! I agree in more schools doing callbacks. Good luck to you.

@mountainhiker Congrats to your daughter. Sounds like you both did your homework and I know she had some great choices. And it is good to be done! Good luck to your daughter too.
  • entertainersmomentertainersmom Registered User Posts: 1,414 Senior Member
    Congratulations omgcollege101 and mountainhiker and D!!!
  • OctaviarOctaviar Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
    edited April 2014
    Congratulations! \:D/
  • nomester7nomester7 Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    Congrats to OMGCOLLEGE101! DePaul. Wow, what an honor!
    And mountainhiker, I must admit, I am very jealous of your D! What an incredible program with so many amazing professional opportunities. Plus... Santino Fontana himself went there!
  • puma69puma69 Registered User Posts: 288 Junior Member
    Congratulations to all! Mountainhiker and D...Thrilled about your choice! Cannot wait to see your daughter in plays around town. Please let's keep in touch! Congrats on making your final choice. I have such fond memories of "the pit" and the Rarig Center.
  • westcstmomwestcstmom Registered User Posts: 21 New Member

Applied to: Theatre programs at USC both BA and BFA, UCLA, BU, Fordham (all with auditions), also applied to schools with good theatre majors: Yale, Columbia, Sarah Lawrence, Vassar. Also applied to RADA.

Prescreens: none

Accepted to: USC BA, Fordham, Sarah Lawrence

Rejected from: UCLA, BU, Yale (both parents alums), Columbia

Wait-listed at: Vassar

Call-back in May, London: RADA

Final Decision: USC BA. Will go to the RADA callback as well...

Coach: vocal coach

Summer Programs: previous summer spent a week at RADA and week at Central School of Speech and Drama, both London, both Shakespeare (fantastic!)

Both my D and I did not comprehend ahead of time the extent of the number of people applying to all these schools. We had no idea what the Unifieds were, and were a bit in shock when we arrived. The wise thing she did was to choose her monologues as early as possible, making sure she was really comfortable with them in every respect. Unlike other moms, I never saw her perform her monologues, leaving it to her and her vocal coach to improve them (in only a few sessions); I think it was really important in our case for me to be the supportive and helpful mom, not the critic.
    My D is absolutely thrilled to be going to USC in their BA program, rather than the BFA. She wants to minor or double major in film as well, and the BA allows her this opportunity. To be accepted into her first choice school is a sweet victory for her, in the face of other almost inevitable rejections.
    Congratulations to all the theatre students who are moving forward to a college they like, and to the parents who have supported them through this rite of fire! I know that my D and I are still recovering from this ordeal.
  • ctl987ctl987 Registered User Posts: 1,466 Senior Member
    This post is about my son.

Applied to BA programs only: Pitt, Temple, St. Johns(communications major), Azusa Pacific

Accepted: all of the above

Prescreens: none

Coach: none

Summer programs: no formal program but performed in 2 summer musicals for regional group.

Final decision: Temple.

Kid likely settled on Temple summer before senior year. Several things fell into place for him. Liked ease of train transportation in and out of Philly. Liked that Temple offered theatre and broadcast journalism majors. Liked strength of both these programs. Liked the big city feel of Philly and buzz of activity on Temple campus. Since May SAT was high enough for full tuition, he did not have to retake SAT. Grew up on east coast and decided he's not ready to move to Los Angeles yet. Thinks Temple and Phiily is best place to start college. Very different from his rural hometown but not as huge like LA or NYC so he felt transition would go better in Philly than in a bigger city. Tentatively planning to start with double major in Theater and media studies and production
  • bromquestbromquest Registered User Posts: 178 Junior Member
    Wow I love hearing everyone's stories! Here's ours:

Applied to: Fordham, Emerson, BU, Pace, NYU, Marymount Manhattan, Purchase, Rutgers, Syracuse, Ithaca, CMU, DePaul, UNCSA, URI

Prescreens: Ithaca and Pace (he did them in the kitchen with his camera on a tripod.)

Accepted to: Emerson (BA), Pace (BFA Acting), NYU Tisch (BFA), Marymount (BFA), Rutgers MG (BFA), Ithaca (BFA), URI (BFA, non-audition)

Wait-listed at: Purchase (BFA), DePaul (BFA), BU (BFA), Syracuse (BFA)

Rejected from: UNCSA, CMU, Fordham (accepted only for theater minor)

Final Decision: TBD...

Public high school

Coach: 4 one-hour sessions to help with choosing monologues. Given limited $$, we opted to forego SAT prep in favor of the coach sessions. He had to work the monologues himself, but he LOVED the ones the coach helped him choose. He did his dramatic monologue for his teacher at school and she gave him some tips. His comedy and Shakespeare he did on his own. But he spent a lot of time - every day after school for a few weeks. And...he has never let me see them to this day. :(

Summer Programs: 1 summer at Stella Adler after freshman year - he took the train to NYC 2 1/2 hours each way every day. He has dreamed of a conservatory college experience since then.

I really thought my son was applying to too many schools. It was expensive and he was really burned out by the end of it. Honestly close to a breakdown. I mean he LOVED the auditions, but missing school, homework, shows, friends - it all took a big toll. But now that the decisions are all in, I realize he was right to apply to a high number of schools. Getting the talent, academic and financial pieces to all fall into place is so tricky. The audition process is so subjective and inscrutable... so I would advocate applying to as many schools as you can stomach. And definitely include a safety or two. Anyway, my son was lucky to have ended up with a few really exciting choices! We are visiting schools over the next couple week-ends. And I emphatically echo that if I could do it over, I would have started logging on to this CC group MUCH sooner. I wish I had a similar support group for other aspects of my life! So thanks guys - I am really anxious to see where everyone ends up!
  • hermommahermomma Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    Congrats Josh!! So happy you fell in love with CCM and have no doubt you will be hugely successful! You must feel great!
This discussion has been closed.