Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Final Decisions, BACKGROUND, class of 2018

nomester7nomester7 Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
I stole this from the MT thread, but I am honored to be starting it.

Applied to: Webster, Viterbo, UMN Twin Cities-Guthrie, Ball State, UW Stevens Point

Prescreens: none

Accepted to: Viterbo

Rejected from: Webster, UMN Twin Cities-Guthrie, Ball State, UW Stevens Point

Wait-listed at: none

Final Decision: Viterbo

Coach: none

Summer Programs: 1 week of UW Whitewater Acting camp summer prior to auditions

As you can see, I only got accepted to one program. Nevertheless, it is an amazing program that I will fight to the death for. Everyone at Viterbo has shown me a kindness I have not experienced anywhere else. We watched a main stage production of The Mystery of Edwin Drood and it was phenomenal. They offered me early admission back in December and a talent scholarship. I'd rather be at a place that loves me and my talent and thinks I'm awesome than at a place that is famous but didn't realize me. I think everyone gets so hung up on if a school has famous alumni or not rather than just successful working alumni. And as soon as one famous person comes from a school than all of a sudden it's a top school. Who says I can't be that famous alumni? ;) I'd love for everyone to realize what an AMAZING program Viterbo is. I'm very happy and excited to start my life as a BFA acting student!

Replies to: Final Decisions, BACKGROUND, class of 2018

• MsMommyMsMommy Registered User Posts: 271 Junior Member
    Congrats, nomester7! You've been so helpful here and I'm excited to see your decision and your enthusiasm about "your" program. I'm also excited to see this thread begin to fill in with all of our decisions!
  • Jkellynh17Jkellynh17 Registered User Posts: 2,011 Senior Member
    Fantastic. You will do great there. Congratulations on being done.
  • nomester7nomester7 Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    Thank you, both of you!
  • compadvcompadv Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    edited March 2014
    Congrats @nomester. I got tears in my eyes reading your post. Can't wait to see your name in lights :)
  • annelisesmomannelisesmom Registered User Posts: 223 Junior Member
    Congrats Nomester7! I concur with prodesse and think it is vitally important that future students fully understand this process and what a crap shoot it can be even for the most talented/trained/whatever of students. I know that there are exceptions (a few students that posted with mindboggling acceptances), but for the most part, rejection is part of the game and extremely, if not impossible, to predict. When we are through with this process, I fully expect that my D will follow your lead and post her results in this thread.
  • connectionsconnections Registered User Posts: 1,327 Senior Member
    Congratulations, Nomester7. I agree with what folks are saying--you only need one acceptance and Viterbo seems perfect for you. May you have a terrific time there and beyond; I am betting that this time next year you will barely even remember this rough time.
    edited March 2014
    Posting my son's stats..

Applied to: Northwestern (ED), BU, NYU, University of Michigan, Muhlenberg, UC Berkeley, UC San Diego, SUNY Purchase, Rutgers, USC

Accepted to: University of Michigan, USC (BA), Muhlenberg (BA), UC Berkeley (BA), UC San Diego (BA)

Rejected from: Northwestern, BU, NYU, SUNY Purchase, Rutgers

Wait-listed at: none

Final Decision: University of Michigan - BA Acting

Coach: Yes but only for a few weeks to work on monologues

Summer Programs: 1 week of Northern Illinois University Senior Drama camp after Junior year

He was only accepted to one audition based program, Michigan. However, it is absolutely a perfect fit for him. He loves everything about the school and the program which was confirmed at his visit. The teachers and students were amazing and the variety of opportunities is unbelievable. In addition to mainstage productions they have a student run (Basement Arts program) along with MUSKET (student run MT program). He can audition to study for a semester at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts. He loves musical theatre as well and Michigan has a great MT program. He can take singing and dancing classes and audition for MT as well. There will also be opportunities for an acapella group. He is passionate, smart and hardworking and I know that he will take this opportunity and make the most of it. He did not become interested in acting and singing until after his sophomore year in high school so we knew we were up against some very low odds with his lack of experience. Thank you, Michigan for seeing potential in him..he will not disappoint you. GO BLUE!!!!!

PS. If we had it to do over again he would have auditioned for less 'top" schools and more of the lesser known programs.
  • nomester7nomester7 Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    edited March 2014
    Thank you SO much everyone! You all helped me get through this. I have no idea what I would've done without you.
    Congrats to compadv's S and the many more final decisions to come!
    Thanks @nomester. Can't wait to see all if the final decisions :)
  • Jkellynh17Jkellynh17 Registered User Posts: 2,011 Senior Member
    It's so great to see kids going to places where they can thrive. Congratulations @compadv and good luck to your son.
    @jkellynh17. Thank you so much..it is wonderful to see him so excited about his choice.
  • Jsh1952Jsh1952 Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    Applied to: USC (BA and BFA), UCLA (MT), northwestern, SUNY Purchase (BA and BFA), NYU, Skidmore, UCONN.

Accepted: Skidmore, UCONN (lib arts), NYU

Wait list: SUNY Purchase

Final decision: NYU(BFA)

Coach; couple weeks for monologues.

Summer camps; long lake camp summer of junior year.
  • entertainersmomentertainersmom Registered User Posts: 1,414 Senior Member
    It is so nice to read there is a happy ending to this crazy roller coaster ride! Congratulations to all!
This discussion has been closed.