Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Things I'd do Differently if Going Through this Process Again

124»

Replies to: Things I'd do Differently if Going Through this Process Again

• MsMommyMsMommy Registered User Posts: 271 Junior Member
    PS...The most difficult thing was that my son never doubted himself and his abilities. So at times during the process, it seemed to him as if I doubted him and his abilities. I guess we've come through it with a stonger respect for each other, but damn...it hurt sometimes. For both of us. If I could save anyone that part of it, I would.
  • connectionsconnections Registered User Posts: 1,327 Senior Member
    Wow, Ms. Mommy, my stomach was actually hurting with nerves reading your story! Thanks for sharing. Btw, you can pm if he's interested in Northwestern and you have any questions.
  • bisouubisouu Registered User Posts: 2,553 Senior Member
    I would help my daughter get a really good handle on the differences between BFA and BA programs and how each school differs on what that means. Still don't fully understand it all…
  • FlossyFlossy Registered User Posts: 3,121 Senior Member
    It means different things at different schools. So, there's really no easy answer to that one. I've done this twice without a coach. Really, three times once with a little bit of a coach. at the end, but it's a long story. I would never do that again unless the goal was a non-auditioned BA. No audition changes everything..
  • notactingmomnotactingmom Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    I would start preparation earlier, as soon as my D told me about her decision to go to a performing arts school. I optimistically thought she'd change her mind ;) Instead, I should have started reading CC! I would have tried to persuade my D to start making the college list earlier during the junior year so that she could visit most of them, especially safeties/matches, before the beginning of audition season. I would have hired the coach in the end of the junior year, not in the beginning of the senior year, so that my D worked more on her monologues during the summer, when she could meet with the coach and work with her live, not through Skype only. I would have asked the coach to work on a song too, my D was asked to sing at two important auditions and she was not well prepared to that. I would schedule the auditions differently-- start with Juilliard, CM, NYU and British schools and then continue with the less competitive BFAs and finishing with her favorites, such as CalArts, UCLA and USC. I would advise my D not to apply EA to Chapman. I would attend Unifieds.

Well, I am very happy with the results even though I do think some mistakes were made. I guess my D got lucky :)
124»
This discussion has been closed.