right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

MFA Directing

BeardieWeirdoBeardieWeirdo 0 replies1 threads New Member
edited September 2014 in Theater/Drama Majors
Hello there!

So I am researching to go back to school for my MFA in Directing. I want to do both musicals and plays and love developing new works and using new music for pieces of drama.

With that in mind, I am mostly looking at programs around the East Coast since that is where I want to work. Also, I do not want to go to a program where I will accrue loads more debt like Columbia.

I am looking at:
Yale
Carnegie Mellon
Catholic
Boston
Brown
and possibly UCSD

I'm looking to specifically gain knowledge into Catholic's reputation in the American/NYC theatre scene. The program seems right up my alley, but I don't know as much about their reputation as I do with Yale or Carnegie Mellon. Or help with narrowing my list down? Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

Help?
edited September 2014
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: MFA Directing

• KatMTKatMT College Rep 4183 replies71 threads Senior Member
    You may want to also look at the MFA Directing program at Penn State University. It is musical theatre focused, but you would also have the opportunity to direct non-musicals.

I went to Penn State for my MFA directing (before they started the musical theatre specific program, and had the opportunity to direct plays, musicals, etc...). I was looking for something similar to what you are expressing in your post... including not wanting to get too into debt!

I went to graduate school 14 years ago... so, things have changed, I am sure... but I currently teach at a university in musical theatre, acting, and directing... so, I try to keep up with what is happening in programs. I also have lived in New Haven and my partner both graduated from Yale Drama, and then taught there recently, so I am somewhat familiar with that program.

Have you looked at the programs at Northwestern? Indiana?

please feel free to PM me or email me [email protected]
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity