Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Interview questions, gotchas, and other things to know

Replies to: Interview questions, gotchas, and other things to know

• 2019theatremom2019theatremom Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    connections--I agree completely. If it's on anyone's list at all--they should not only be as completely prepared as possible to audition there as they are able to answer questions about the curriculum and "why that school" and have it not be a lie.
  • broadway95broadway95 Registered User Posts: 742 Member
    One school wanted you to rank the order of the schools you applied to(I think it said top 5). This was on the paperwork they had you fill out at auditions. My D had a page for each school in her folder that she listed the things she liked about the program and any questions she had about it. She reviewed this before she went to the audition.
    Thanks so much, everyone, for sharing these experiences!
  • dramamom0804dramamom0804 Registered User Posts: 801 Member
    My D was particular about where she applied. She didn't even do any walk-ins because she applied to the schools she wanted to, and felt she either didn't want to go to the schools offering walk-ins or didn't know enough about the school to make a decision and audition. That being said, there were definitely schools she liked a lot more than others, and that only solidified as time went on. For her, it was just hard to face those questions for some of her schools. She knew about the school, knew what she liked, but knowing in her heart there were other schools she liked more just felt weird to her. So it's not really a gotcha thing, but that feeling was just uncomfortable for her.
    I've had the same talk with my D. She's not planning any walk-ins anywhere, because her list is only the schools she wants to/is willing to attend, and has a "safety" lined up that she is also happy to attend in the event none of the auditioned programs go her way.

I like the idea of keeping a sheet for each school with 4-5 things that she likes about the program. I'll definitely encourage her to do that.

I'm truly thankful she is so certain about the type of program she wants because it takes a field of hundreds and turns it into just a handful. And, at the end of the day, those are the programs that are more likely to want her too, which is just as important.
  • artskidsartskids Registered User Posts: 903 Member
    My S found that many schools would ask where else he was applying, and would then question him on why he had such a mix (conservatory vs university/BA vs. BFA). The truth is the numbers are so daunting, he felt he needed a healthy mix. He also got many questions about how he would feel if he couldn't perform during his first xx semesters (it varied by school). I don't know any performer who could honestly say "thrilled not to perform" but on balance, he got comfortable with the concept and the question (at least comfortable enough to give a solid, honest answer)!
  • connectionsconnections Registered User Posts: 1,327 Senior Member
    The question is much easier to answer when you are very focused like my son was -- he wanted intensive conservatory training only - as opposed to my daughter, who wasn't sure for the entire application/audition process whether she wanted a BFA training or a BA and if so, which type. In fact, for her, the audition process itself helped clarify to her that she wanted a BA program ultimately. She definitely found the question hard, because the answer was actually something like, "I want rigorous training and I want to be a working actor, but I'm not sure what path toward this goal is right for me right now; I'm still in the process of discovery." She didn't feel safe enough to say that. I don't know if she should have; I don't think so. But thankfully she ended up at Northwestern, which is perfect for her.
  • Georgia30720Georgia30720 Registered User Posts: 230 Junior Member
    We researched the schools my son was applying for online and then created reference cards for each one. On the front was the name of the school, it's particular audition requirements and three specific things he liked about their program. He would review them before each audition.
    I think the reminder cards sound like a great idea to review before going into a specific audition. I can imagine it's easy to give some of the details of each program confused, especially if the programs are similar in many regards. It's good to call out those fine details that make each program appealing to the candidate.

Nice call.
  • annelisesmomannelisesmom Registered User Posts: 223 Junior Member
    I agree about the walk-ins. My D ended up choosing a program for which she did a walk-in audition at Unifieds - she chose it over several other of her "listed" options. She absolutely loves it there and is 100% certain of her choice.
  • madbeanmadbean Registered User Posts: 3,219 Senior Member
    My S was thrown (at least on the inside) by a direct question from one very top reach program when they asked him: if he was admitted, would he attend their school? He said something like he would love to, but his family had to see FA and costs would factor into his final decision. The interviewers said there was no merit aid at this school, and he kinda repeated he'd applied for FA through the university... so... They told him: this is a very expensive university (duh!) and then asked him to leave the interview room and please wait. When he came out, he was utterly confused and pretty down, as he hadn't been expecting to discuss costs of college with auditors, and so couldn't imagine why they would want him to wait around. The upshot: they called him back into their room about 10 (long) minutes later and told him he was being admitted. Again, he was thrown. He had never heard that this sort of verbal on-the-spot admission was possible. He had been prepared for a lot of "no's" and was frankly unprepared for a sudden, in-person "yes" from his first choice program. I'm sure many of your students would have been dancing around, but he was in shock for about an hour until it sunk in. :)
    @madbean, your S must have been terrified! I am so glad it worked out for him. Probably is a good sign (rather than unfavorable) when a school wants a student to wait. How awkward to have to answer that question, though! Your S must have been "in the zone" that day. Good for him for being extra spectacular at the right time and place. Those stories are so exciting--even if few and far between.
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 11,523 Senior Member
    Not really a gotcha but something that used to happen fairly often years ago, not sure if it still does. Students should be prepared to be able to resume a monologue if they are stopped by an auditor with a question. This shouldn't be an issue for most kids who are used to auditioning with monologues but others may be thrown off by it. The moral of the story is to know your monologues well.
  • artskidsartskids Registered User Posts: 903 Member
    @madbean‌ my son was asked at 2 auditions last year "if selected, wI'll you attend." I think that part is fairly common - kids should be ready for it. The awesome twist in your story is the on-site offer (congrats! ). I know it makes the kids uncomfortable to hedge but the answer is rarely simple. Until the process plays out, all acceptances are known and all the FA is on the table, it is usually impossible to know!
This discussion has been closed.