Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Interview questions, gotchas, and other things to know

13»

Replies to: Interview questions, gotchas, and other things to know

• madbeanmadbean Registered User Posts: 3,219 Senior Member
    Oh, and the upshot of my S's story. The FA from at that 1st choice school turned out to be considerably less than several other schools, which made me wonder, after the fact, if the auditors had been aware they had to compete for admits in a climate of other schools with merit, and larger FA to offer? I don't really know. Again--just speculation--perhaps they gave my son an on-the-spot yes in order to get him super-excited about attending? (He was.) But he was very fortunate to have affordable options and he chose a different program. This is stressful, even if you have been totally upfront with your kid about finances--because a top dream school is such a big thing to a HS senior. The school he chose was his other top choice (whew)--although with a bit less prestige. My advice (not that anyone asked) is to encourage students to find more than one desirable program and keep an open mind. Building a good list, that is affordable, is hard!! With FA a mystery until the very last minute, it means a lot of uncertainty. But I still love that great school who gave my S such an early and unexpected boost of confidence.
  • skewlcounselorskewlcounselor Registered User Posts: 240 Junior Member
    My daughter is very happily attending her "walk-in" school and cannot imagine herself anywhere else.
  • thestage603thestage603 Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    What an awesomely informative thread! Definitely something to add to the folder for each school that we haven't thought of already as we approach NY Unifieds in less then 2 weeks. AHHHHH!
  • 2019theatremom2019theatremom Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    D decided to do a few walk-ins in LA after all and said it was a great experience and even found a few programs she would consider if she was accepted, so I guess we'll see. I think she felt empowered by being able to choose to audition on the spot outside of the "enormous spreadsheet of college audition planning." She said it was easier auditioning for walk-ins because she hadn't emotionally invested in those schools yet and found a gem or two she would really consider!

For anyone who might be truly financially constrained but can make it to a Unifieds audition with only 1-2 scheduled auditions, I would really consider the walk-in approach. None of the schools she sought out charged a fee (although I told her if she found one that did have a fee that we would pay if she thought she was really interested). One could just show up at a Unifieds event and find themselves at a really great school. As a "planner" that makes me nervous, but I can see how that approach could certainly work in a student's favor.
  • mylovesmyloves Registered User Posts: 805 Member
    edited February 2015
    I agree, @2019theatremom‌.

It would have made me very nervous to depend on getting walk-ins, but even some schools that required prescreens were taking walk-ins, and, this year, a student could do at least a few at both NY and Chicago Unifieds. (Granted, at many that had prescreens, one still had to attend a campus audition for callbacks, but there were others who did the callback at Unifieds.) It was nice to not pay the audition fees at D's walk-ins. Besides, she loved them--was excited to do them and energized by them--and would consider them if accepted. If fact, one was one of her favorite auditions of all.
  • 2019theatremom2019theatremom Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    @myloves, my D felt exactly the same way about walk-ins. I didn't think she would be interested at all in them, and I couldn't have been more wrong.
  • yesweken1yesweken1 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I have not auditioned for any BFA programs yet, but I go to a conservatory style high school for the arts. From what I have heard, auditioners will give you different circumstances for monologues to see if you can take a direction no matter what the circumsatnce is and still remain truthful and in the moment.
  • astute12astute12 Registered User Posts: 327 Member
    That is true -- CMU is known for doing this, and CalArts as well. For my d's CalArts audition they asked her to do one of her monologues as if she was bathing -- she had fun with it. It's a way for the school to see if you are open to trying new things and, as you said, remain truthful in the moment.
  • momof3nerdzmomof3nerdz Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    edited June 2016
    Reviving this thread as I begin the final year's journey with S2...rising senior and BFA hopeful. Much to read and digest...thank you all!
  • actorboy27actorboy27 Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    @momof3nerdz what schools does your S plan on auditioning for?
  • momof3nerdzmomof3nerdz Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Still exploring options, both in and out of state.
13»
This discussion has been closed.