Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Are there any theatre tech people here?

2»

Replies to: Are there any theatre tech people here?

• momof2leftiesmomof2lefties Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    We are just headed down the road, but D finished submitting her total of 12 over the weekend. A combination of very prestigious tier, high-middle tier, and doesn't-seem-as-competitive (but we don't really know, exactly) tier. Of course, her top choice so far is one of the hardest to get into. First interviews start Nov. 4.
  • OrangeFishOrangeFish Registered User Posts: 347 Member
    Thanks and best wishes @momof2lefties -- may the wait time until interviews go quickly!
  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 1,872 Senior Member
    @OrangeFish -

My son applied to only 5 schools and did portfolio reviews at 3. It might have been too few, but we were really not well prepared for this. I didn't want him to apply to schools that I couldn't afford because I thought that would be cruel. My budget is the cost of a SUNY and, frankly, his academics weren't good enough to warrant the huge amounts of merit money that would have been needed for him to attend a top school, even assuming he would have gotten in on his portfolio. We thought about doing NY Unifieds since we live in the suburbs, but my son didn't want to apply to schools he didn't think he could get into academically (NYU, etc.) and he already had academic acceptances from the 3 schools by then and program acceptances from 2.

He seems happy at Fredonia. I am going up in a few weeks for family weekend and will see a show. He is doing follow spot, which is a basic position, but given that there are a dozen or more tech/lighting freshmen, it's a nice sign. The program seems intensive. His cohort has really bonded and he has made a number of friends. He says he is pleased with his choice.

Thanks for your post @techmom99 -- I had asked the theatre folks at D's school, and was told somewhere around 6 or 7 schools was the average for BFAs. A few students applied to 10 schools, but many had application fees waived along the way.

So good to hear that TechSon17 has made a group of friends already and he is happy at his school! Based on your suggestion, it's on D's list of schools to consider. (We're also on a budget-conscious hunt.)
    @OrangeFish -

I am glad it's on your D's list. Are you in NY?
    @Techmom99 -- we are in Virginia.

We have mostly BAs here, and D has JMU, VCU, and CNU on her list from the in-state options.
    @OrangeFish -

I think there is someone on the board who is an instructor at JMU. We looked at it and at CNU but we really needed instate tuition.
  • toowonderfultoowonderful Registered User Posts: 3,510 Senior Member
    @OrangeFish - @KatMT teaches at JMU. She is a super helpful poster :)
    Thank you, @toowonderful! We have exchanged info with her and yes, she is indeed super helpful. :)
  • momof2leftiesmomof2lefties Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    Information on the application numbers for theatre techies at schools is so hard to come by, so I thought I'd add this bit here just so it is recorded somewhere. D is at DePaul yesterday and today for their theatre program visit day and her interview. Husband sent me a text when they said there were 60 applicants for 4 costume design spots last year. They divide their costume department into separate design and technology majors, so probably 4 additional spots for the costume technology applicants.
  • bisouubisouu Registered User Posts: 2,382 Senior Member
    My techie/actor is a lefty too :)
  • bisouubisouu Registered User Posts: 2,382 Senior Member
    Oops wrong thread LOL
2»