Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Northwestern Theater Major/Musical Theater Admissions Questions

AlexxMalavetAlexxMalavet Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
I am a senior this year and applying to Northwestern ED for the Theater Major and Applied Mathematics Major as part of of the 5 year dual degree program. Let's begin with a long list of my information. In terms of academics, I am a very strong student: Class rank of 3/340 (top 1% of high school class) GPA of 4.06 weighted (Odd GPA scale. A's in AP classes are counted 4.125 or something like that instead of 5) 35 ACT Composite. I am also looking at the Musical Theater Certificate Program. For starters, I have a very strong background in Vocal Music. I am a three year member of the WSMA State Honors Choir, I have had many Classical and Musical Theater Solos qualify for state in WSMA Solo and Ensemble Festivals. I have had over 5 years of voice lessons and worked with Professors from my local college. Additionally, I have been a part of a summer musical theater program at my local college, which has been great for musical theater experience. I have had leading roles in my school musicals Junior and Senior year (I only auditioned junior and senior year because I had conflicts Freshman and Sophomore year and did not know that I would end up wanting to pursue MT). I also have been part of school choirs and specifically a very competitive show choir, where I have found a niche for dancing. My dance and acting experience is limited, but I have no struggles with either. I was elected show choir dance captain for Junior and Senior year, plus I just started taking tap this past summer. I feel pretty confident in my chances of making it into Northwestern, but I have heard that the Theater Major is a b*tch to get into, and that has worried me. Not to mention a very competitive MT program as well. I am not a cherub (I have no idea what that even is) and I was hoping to get some info on my chances, especially because I am applying ED and very committed to this university. Thank you in advance!

Replies to: Northwestern Theater Major/Musical Theater Admissions Questions