right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

BFA Acting Class of 2024: Preparation, Prescreens, Auditions, Questions and Support

Replies to: BFA Acting Class of 2024: Preparation, Prescreens, Auditions, Questions and Support

• yourmama99yourmama99 100 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @CBSQandA i know a Freshman at Tx State Acting major. he applied for acting although he applied for MT at other schools. he is going to be in the upcoming musical. Hartt where daughter is vocal major, i believe just MT audition for MT
    · Reply · Share
  • MomMimiMomMimi 90 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @CBSQandA My S is an Acting BFA Freshman at UMich. He is not a redirect - acting is and always has been his passion - but he did a fair number of musicals in high school just because he'll take any performance opportunity he can get. He can sing and is a mover, but not really a dancer. He has already been in a student production of Falsettos, and out of that cast of 6 kids, only one was an MT major. He takes mandatory voice and movement classes. And all students audition for all university productions, with apparently equal opportunity to be cast. So at least in our limited experience, there is plenty of crossover possibility at a school like UMich where both programs are strong.
    · Reply · Share
  • actorparent1actorparent1 852 replies6 threads Member
    @yourmama99, my daughter is an acting major at Hartt, and she recently told me that Hartt is changing the casting. Sophomores will still do shows only with their class (acting majors doing plays, MTs doing musicals), but juniors and seniors will have open casting, so acting and MT majors will be able to audition for both plays and musicals.
    · Reply · Share
  • MommaCatMommaCat 178 replies4 threads Junior Member
    My D was just denied to UCSD for BA in Theatre. It was a reach since it is pretty much an academic application. For those in the future wanting to know stats, her UC capped GPA is 3.9 and SAT is 1310. Low for the upper and mid-tier UCs.
    · Reply · Share
  • anastasiasmomanastasiasmom 324 replies2 threads Member
    This was posted by @yourmama99 in the notification thread.

In case it's not approved, my DD started a petition on change Dot Org to push back the national college decision day to June 1st. If not approved, look for it.

Also the NACAC posted an open-ended statement (with some examples listed)

NACAC encourages flexibility with admission deadlines that may be impacted by the coronavirus outbreak. Open communication between counselors and admission officers about disruptions and possible accommodations is encouraged.

https://www.nacacnet.org/news--publications/newsroom/press-releases/nacac-update-coronavirus/
    · Reply · Share
  • JustisMomJustisMom 1 replies0 threads New Member
    My kiddo went there for an audition and just loved it! Everyone was very nice and she really liked the small campus with the family feel. I don't have any more info to share about the actual program and would love to hear more myself!
    · Reply · Share
  • AbutilonAbutilon 73 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited March 16
    Bay Area on lock down until April 7. We live here. This is so crazy. Anyone worried about their 529b plans? Ours took a major dive.
    edited March 16
    · Reply · Share
  • TenaciousCTenaciousC 107 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Also "sheltering in place" and it's definitely strange. By the time we're back out in the world the coyotes may have taken over (saw a bunch of them on our walk in the canyon today!) Took my mind off of college decisions, though.
    · Reply · Share
  • temptheatretemptheatre 5 replies0 threads New Member
    would anyone happen to know anything about depaul’s acting waitlist? like any estimations of how many kids are put on it and/or the likelihood of being accepted off it?
    · Reply · Share
  • sarahsmom02sarahsmom02 52 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Anyone else out there still waiting to hear from Texas State?
    · Reply · Share
  • anastasiasmomanastasiasmom 324 replies2 threads Member
    @temptheatre

I don’t have an answer in regards to DePaul’s waitlist but @NYDreammom has a kid who goes there and might be able to help.
    · Reply · Share
  • NYDreammomNYDreammom 403 replies0 threads Member
    @temptheatre - the only thing we know is that they advise you to commit to a school you’ve been accepted to by May 1 in case you don’t get off the waitlist and that my D knows several people who found out in the summer they were accepted off the list. She doesn’t know numbers as not everyone would share they were on the waitlist.

In terms of class size the current freshman (my D) class is 31-32, split into two cohorts. Last year they had over 900 applications, prescreen passes were 300 and do not know how many offers were made and waitlists to get to the class size.

Best of luck!

Thanks, @anastasiasmom
    · Reply · Share
    Should the parent or student reach out to admissions to see if they can match or come closer to another merit scholarship? We have limited federal aid, but my D got a huge merit/talent award at one school. Thx.
    · Reply · Share
  • actorparent1actorparent1 852 replies6 threads Member
    @Abutilon, absolutely! It's called a scholarship appeal letter. You email admissions and explain that your child very much wants to attend the school, but you need X amount more money to be able to afford it. XYZ College offered more scholarship money - can they match that offer? Then you attach the other school's scholarship letter.
    · Reply · Share
    @actorparent1 Thank you!
    · Reply · Share
  • 2231Starcross32231Starcross3 18 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Does anyone have info/thoughts/opinions on Northwestern's theatre program?
    · Reply · Share
  • BFAMom2024BFAMom2024 42 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @2231Starcross3 I don't, but if you go over to the MT board, they have been talking about Northwestern's program a lot. I believe it starts around post #1808.

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/musical-theater-major/2171686-class-of-2024-mt-artistic-acceptance-notifications-how-when-where-p91.html
    · Reply · Share
  • tsamuiquetsamuique 274 replies0 threads Junior Member
    There's been a lot of discussion about Northwestern over on the Musical Theatre Major thread. You might want to check that out.
    · Reply · Share
  • muttsandMTmuttsandMT 180 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Ugh, is there anyone else who is still waiting on Syracuse Acting? And does anyone know if we will definitely hear by tomorrow, or is there a chance it might not be until 4/1? TIA for any info! :)
    · Reply · Share
  • ThespianMiteraThespianMitera 25 replies0 threads Junior Member
    S received a very polite no from LAMDA today, in case anyone else has been waiting.
    · Reply · Share