Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Does the program prepare you for show business?

amtcamtc Registered User Posts: 2,864 Senior Member
edited April 2009 in Theater/Drama Majors
As we've been going to the accepted student programs and are looking more closely at all the course offerings at each school we realize that some Theatre and MT programs are better at preparing you for the realities of the business side of show business. While good, intensive training is necessary for the "pure" form of acting, getting an agent/manager/job is just as important and requires other skills and knowledge. As anyone who has done it, auditioning is a different skill set than acting. Marketing yourself is vitally important to an acting career, as are organizational skills, professionalism, etc. There are many very talented people who never succeed because they are lacking in the business skills needed and, vice versa, there are less talented actors who succeed because they know how to "work the system."

I believe, others might disagree, that a good theatre program teaches those skills as well. Just a thought as people are trying to make decisions as to where to spend the next four years.
Post edited by amtc on

Replies to: Does the program prepare you for show business?

• fishbowlfreshmanfishbowlfreshman Registered User Posts: 827 Member
    My read is that all the good schools make some effort to educate students on the business of the business with some making more effort than others. However, from what I'm seeing of the people I know from various programs who have graduated or are about to graduate is that ALL of them fall way short in this area. Then, I suppose that shouldn't be a surprise since even business schools don't really prepare people for the realities of real world business. You just have to do a lot of asking around and educating yourself.
  • fillyflurelfillyflurel User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 36 Junior Member
    Emerson College has a new business/entrepreneurship minor open to ALL majors.

Emerson adds business minor, M.F.A. degree

Also, most colleges have business/marketing classes available to students that can fulfill general education requirements. Check each school carefully as their classes might be closed to non-majors.
This discussion has been closed.