Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Tisch and Juilliard underdraduate programs

jamitronjamitron Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited April 2009 in Theater/Drama Majors
I never took the SAT or ACT. I have two years of community college under my belt, but that doesn't seem to matter. The NYU website says ALL applicants for the undergraduate program need to submit the scores from one of these tests. I don't know if Juilliard is any different. Is my situation hopeless?
Post edited by jamitron on

Replies to: Tisch and Juilliard underdraduate programs

• skipsmomskipsmom Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
    I think you will definitely need the tests for NYU---unless you have written a paper published in an academic journal, written a book, or found a cure for cancer, lol. (See their new testing guidelines on the school website.)

At Juilliard we were told you could apply with just a GED in lieu of a high school diploma. That sounds to me like they're not that concerned with test scores.
  • NotMamaRoseNotMamaRose Registered User Posts: 4,090 Senior Member
    Juilliard doesn't really care much about your test scores or grades, though they apparenty want at least at GED. Very different programs, Tisch and Juilliard. Juilliard is a pure conservatory and Tisch is a conservatory-style program within a very selective academic university. Academics count very much at one (Tisch) but not so much at the other.
    NMRose, although academics are obviously not a strong suit at Juilliard, we were told that the new-ish dean has instituted a new curriculum in which students study english and history through the arts... the young lady who told us about it was obviously excited about the changes that she felt were very much for the good of the students and school. Have you heard anything about that development?
  • NotMamaRoseNotMamaRose Registered User Posts: 4,090 Senior Member
    Yes, when we visited (the winter of 2008) the folks at Juilliard told us about this. However, at no point did the powers that be there indicate that academics would matter much for *admissions* purposes: it was more that, once the students were there, they wanted to help the students make the most of their education by beefing up the few liberal arts that the kids have to take. (They also made much of the fact that since Michael Kahn left as head of the drama division in 2006, the other big change that had been made was to do away with the mandatory cut system, which, according to the students to whom we spoke, is having a much, much bigger impact than the beefed up academics.)
    We were told the same thing, that entrance requirements were still ALL audition, but there seems to be a bit of excitement about the new academic plan.
  • TimThomTimThom Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    Well...I don't kno if it helps, but I think it is worth mentioning that CalArts does not have a requirement to send in an ACT/SAT score...
This discussion has been closed.