Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance me anywhere, please.

ApollueApollue Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
My high school record was abysmal, but I'm doing everything I can to rectify it.
Graduated barely in the top 50% of my class, 2.95 GPA UW.
ACT 33, one try.
No SAT1/Subject Tests (You wouldn't take them, either, with my GPA back then), only took two AP courses (Psych and History - 5's) because my school didn't offer many.

Went to a public university, first semester grades are set in stone at this point and I'll get a 4.14 GPA for the semester. A lot of transfers request midterm evaluations for the second semester, where I'll work hard to maintain a similarly good GPA.
(Note: My school is certainly not known for grade inflation; average GPA was 2.97 in 2008)
As far as extracurriculars are concerned, I've already created one student org and I'm an officer in a political club on campus. I'm interning at a 501(c)(3) this year, and I helped direct/volunteer for a bone marrow drive on campus earlier in the semester. Also volunteered for a state political party leading up to the election ~100 hours independent of other political events on campus.
I'm doing research as an undergrad research fellow next spring, and I'm doing policy research for the state legislature as well.

I recognize how poor my performance was in high school, but at this point there's nothing I can do about it; just have to focus on improving my college record. I suppose what I'm asking is how much my current performance can offset a poor high school record.

I know that it's pretty tough to predict much with a big flaw like mine, but what do you guys think would be matches/reaches?
This discussion has been closed.