Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Wants to Transfer and Can't Return to Present Institution -- Help Needed!

HopesToBeAHoyaHopesToBeAHoya Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
edited June 2011 in Transfer Students
The dilemma that I have is complicated and ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

A Little Bit About Me:
I recently finished my first year at William & Mary, but during second semester, I unfortunately became very sick and had to medically withdraw. So, as of right now, I only have one semester's worth of grades.

The Heart of the Problem:
Although a great institution, William & Mary is not the school for me, and so I have decided that I definitely want to transfer to another university. This past year, I submitted a transfer application to Georgetown's SFS but was wait-listed and then rejected. I personally believe the reason for this was because of my high school grades, which weren't very stellar. Now the main problem is that because of my medical withdrawal, W&M won't allow me to come back to school next fall; they want me to take more time off.

Possible Solution For the Fall:
Now because I can't go back to W&M this fall, want to transfer, and feel that I need more grades to create a stronger application, I was wondering if going to community college this fall would be a good idea? Ultimately, I would like to go to Georgetown's SFS, but at this point, I would be more than happy with Rice, Emory, GW, or wherever else. I'm just worried that community college won't be looked at favorably because it is not as rigorous as W&M. But at the same time, if I take 5-6 classes, get all As, work 20+ hours a week, in addition to the strong first-semester grades that I have at a prestigious school, I would think that this would be looked at in a positive light? In all honesty, I don't have much of a choice other than to go to community college, although I could apply as a visiting student to some DC schools. The problem with that is it's very expensive...

Spring Semester 2012 Plan:
After going to community college and doing well, I was planning on not returning to W&M and doing some type of impressive internship/abroad thing through American University in Washington, D.C. Essentially, I'm treating this year as somewhat of a gap year. When I apply to schools, I will apply as a sophomore, not a junior, because I don't have grades for spring 2011 (because of the medical withdrawal) and spring 2012 (due to some activity/internship/abroad thing that I could do).

Does anyone have any advice or feel that this is a good plan? ANY ideas/thoughts are MUCH appreciated!
Post edited by HopesToBeAHoya on

Replies to: Wants to Transfer and Can't Return to Present Institution -- Help Needed!

• imasophomoreimasophomore Registered User Posts: 575 Member
    Why didn't you like William & Mary? Then I'll answer.
  • HopesToBeAHoyaHopesToBeAHoya Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    Lack of a diverse student body, Williamsburg isn't much of a city, academics were lacking in that I wanted a more interdisciplinary major. Not the most intellectual place, either.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,368 Senior Member
    "Now the main problem is that because of my medical withdrawal, W&M won't allow me to come back to school next fall; they want me to take more time off."

You need to run any plans for studying anywhere past your medical advisor(s). That W&M is insisting that you take the fall term off would indicate to me that your health problem is quite serious.

IF AND ONLY IF you get medical clearance, go to community college part time. Do not try to take 5 or 6 classes and work 20+ hours a week! Community college classes can indeed be as demanding and time-consuming as courses at 4-year institutions. Do not underestimate the workload. It might be wiser to spread those 6 courses over two semesters, and find a local internship where you can work for both semesters.
This discussion has been closed.