Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

NYU Transfer for Spring 2013

Replies to: NYU Transfer for Spring 2013

• Tomeu11Tomeu11 Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    Nope, she just answered a concern I had with a W from a course in which I had a B+ but dropped because I was bored... I think I will mail a different adcom. You should try too, and see what info we can get
  • supercolosallsupercolosall Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    Hello! I am a first semester freshman at Oberlin College & Conservatory applying for Music Composition at Steinhardt for the Spring Semester.
    Here's some stats:
    HS:
    GPA: 3.5 UW/ 4.1 W
    SAT: 2090
    College:
    14 Credit Hours
    Currently 3.8 GPA but they won't see that until after their decision I guess.

When do we get an Albert account? I would like to know what forms they haven't received. Any other first semester freshman/steinhardt transfers/music students in the house?
    Welcome supercolosall! Regarding the Albert account you will be given the steps to create your own as soon as you get your application acknowledgement email. I submitted my app on the 31st and it was downloaded on the 1st. However, I still didn't get the email, so I'm guessing we should receive it within this week or the next since decisions should start to come out in around 10 days
  • josephyangjosephyang Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    @giantmidget: To be honest, academically I feel that the workload at Stern compared to Rutgers is roughly the same. Even the content is about the same and there is some overlap. Even though all my credits transferred, Stern made me retake some courses I had already taken (such as Macro and Finance) so I am seeing material pop up that I had seen before. That being said, professors here expect more from their students and the student body is noticeably smarter and more driven (i.e. people here keep up with their work whereas back at Rutgers there was more procrastination)

Socially there is a HUGE difference. Rutgers was more of a campus environment, whereas NYU doesn't have a campus. I knew this coming in, but I feel this also affects the student atmosphere. People are into themselves and don't really go out of their way to make friends. Also coming in as a junior, it's not like freshman year where no one knows each other so they are more willing to make friends. However, NYU does have an orientation program for its transfer students so you will get to meet a lot of other students in your transfer class.
  • josephyangjosephyang Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    @Tomeu: Not sure exactly how the process works, whether you are pitted against those in the same school you are applying to, or pitted by major. Either way, I think the best way for your application to stand out is through course selection. So if you are applying for CAS Econ, let's say, did you take Econ courses at your previous school? This also helps when it comes time to transfer credits since the more econ courses you've taken, the more easily it is to transfer credits toward your major for graduation. I know that in Stern we were just pitted against those in the school (as opposed to by major) since we couldn't list our major on the application (it was just "general business").
  • giantmidgetgiantmidget Registered User Posts: 420 Member
    @josephyang
    Yeah, I realize what you mean by that. I transferred to BU, and it's pretty much the same over here too.

I emailed the head of CAS admissons and he said you should expect a decision by mid-December. I hope he means that's the latest decisions are going to go out :/
    who is the head of CAS admissions? and... Mid-december??? That seems too late...
    Christopher Perlongo
    lol cool name! How did you find the tone in his reply? Maybe we could ask further about the decision making time
    He just stated "Thanks for emailing. We're on track to release decisions by mid-December." Nothing that you can really take insight into from that.
    Mmmm then we have to hope that his mind just slipped. We all would need at least some time to organize ourselves to change colleges.
    So... I just got my App Ack email and checked my Albert account. As expected the College and HS transcripts are not checked off; although the standardized scores are, which is odd because I didn't send them this time so I guess they kept my file(I also have the same ID # and Net ID). I sent an email asking about how long it would take them to be processed and if Sandy delayed things; I got an almost immediate answer. Yes, Sandy has delayed things so we can expect decisions to be released after November; we should also allow several weeks for the credentials to be processed. Anyone has everything checked off?
    Just email your regional admissions counselor. I emailed mine and she responded almost immediately, saying that all mail received from last week is still being processed. They can tell you if theres anything they've received before last week though! My HS transcript still isn't checked off but they told me they had it. Just some useful info
    My college transcript got checked off, HS still hasn't. I just emailed my regional adcom like you said to confirm it was received, they already lost it once last spring :S How is everyone else doing? Nervous? We will all get in!!!!!!
    Is anyone else applying to the Steinhardt conservatory?
This discussion has been closed.