Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances of transferring a second time to competitive schools?

JaguarPawJaguarPaw Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
I did badly in high school and dropped out due to traumatic experiences that I've explained in my education interruption essay. I took my GED and started college at 16. I've spoken to a lot of people about this and I've come to the conclusion that it makes me stand out in a good way.

I spent a year at my first school then transferred to NYU. I've done really well at both schools. Unfortunately, I haven't found the community I'm looking for at either. The first was too small (400 kids) the second was way too big (20,000). I've realized I need something in the middle, so I figure I'll shoot for some competitive schools then continue at NYU if I don't get in.

High School: 3.5
College 1 (Tiny LAC): 3.8
College 2 (NYU): 4.0
SAT: 2210
APs: 5 on AP German
Extra-Curriculars: Managing editor on college magazine, president of ultimate frisbee club, freelance graphic designer, internships, subway musician, some other stuff.
Awards: State & national journalism awards, art awards, design contests, gold on three National Latin Exams
Courseload: Mostly art, design, media
Legacy: Yale

I'm applying to top schools like Yale, Columbia, and Cornell as an art major. I realize these are reaches for anyone but I'd mostly like to know if transferring twice is acceptable. Also, what's it like transferring as an art major to Ivies? My courses aren't intensely academic so I'm afraid I'll look like a slacker but I'm actually pursuing design...

Also, my applications aren't due for 10 months so any input on what I could do to improve my chances is welcome!

Replies to: Chances of transferring a second time to competitive schools?

• happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,428 Senior Member
    Transferring twice is acceptable.

If you want to make a living in design, you need to be looking at places that will actually prepare you for that career and will help you make the connections that you need. Why are Yale, Columbia, and Cornell on you list?
  • JaguarPawJaguarPaw Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    @happymomof1‌ That's something I've thought about as well. Part of the reason I'm transferring is that I don't feel like there is a strong intellectual community here at NYU. Yes, there are tons of smart people but NYU is notorious for lacking community. I thought I would shoot for schools with a more concentrated student body.

Yale has an amazing graduate art program and a very unique program I'm really interested in. I'm also applying to RISD, where I did pre-college. I'd have no problem going there, and probably will end up doing that if I get in. Just thought the other ones were worth a shot.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,428 Senior Member
    From the sound of it, you will probably be more happy at RISD (especially with the cross registration with Brown) than you are at NYU. I don't know if Yale makes sense if the art program is only at the grad level. You need a place with a good undergrad program.
This discussion has been closed.