Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should I retake my SAT? Should I re-evaluate?

DanHuynhCADanHuynhCA Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
The deadline to register is tomorrow. I finished my first semester with a 3.81 at Cal State Long Beach. I am a political science major and active in two clubs. The plan is of course is to finish well in spring. If things go to plan and they have to go as planned I will finish with 38 units. I may also do summer classes but that's if things go to plan. My greatest annoyance is my high school grades. A 3.49 GPA and an 18 ACT and 1300 SAT. The schools I wish to apply are USC, Northwestern, UNC-Chapel Hill, Syracuse, University of Pennsylvania, and NYU. I am trying to think am I way over my head with the colleges I want to apply? I am trying to be real as possible as much as it hurts for me. I do have a plan B of studying abroad if this turns out to be a disaster with the harsh reality that it may be. I know I can back out the program at any time. Anyhow the truth is, I don't want to come back to CSULB. I respect the institution but it is not just suited for me. The last few days, have been rough for me emotionally constantly thinking. I just want some advice on what to do.

Replies to: Should I retake my SAT? Should I re-evaluate?

• boolaHIboolaHI Registered User Posts: 1,956 Senior Member
    Penn and NW are going to be very uphill, but they are for most any transfer. In fact, transferring to these two schools is more competitive than regular freshmen admission.
  • queenhalseyqueenhalsey Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as you (I go to a different CSU though). My SAT score was 1860 in high school and I really want to transfer to Barnard, so I feel like I need to retake the test. However I've heard that admissions care less about SATs once you've completed 30 units or something like that? I don't really want to waste time and money retaking the test if I don't really have to.
  • txsciencenerdtxsciencenerd Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    Some of those schools are very competitive, so I would go ahead and retake the SAT to try to bump your chances of admission. Any positive attribute in your application would help. Good luck!
  • boolaHIboolaHI Registered User Posts: 1,956 Senior Member
    The SAT is meant to test at the HS level, not while you are in college. You should check individually with each respective school.
This discussion has been closed.