Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Common App Personal Statement

WMStudent19WMStudent19 Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
As an aspiring investment banker, I'm applying to several different schools for transfer purposes. Some have economics programs, some have business programs, and some have both. In my personal statement, how can I write about my reasons for wanting to transfer without sounding too general? I keep writing about the criteria I want in the school I transfer to, but whenever I do so, I talk about how I want to get a certain kind of education in business OR economics. I don't want to sound uncertain, but I can't avoid conflating the two since some schools have one or both programs.

Any suggestions?

Replies to: Common App Personal Statement

• goldencubgoldencub Registered User Posts: 1,849 Senior Member
    Why not say you're interested in both business and economics? Or economics, and how that plays a role in business?You can't really avoid that.

Or perhaps talk about your goals to be an investment banker, and how transferring will help play a major role in that.

Admittedly, I'm not too familiar with the common app - my guess is that all of the schools you are applying to offer economics programs, whereas only some of them have business programs. If so, perhaps you should put the emphasis on economics, and talk about how you want to apply that to business - or talk about your interest in business and how economics is involved in it.
This discussion has been closed.