Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

2017 - 2018 USC Transfer

Replies to: 2017 - 2018 USC Transfer

• rizzledrizzle1rizzledrizzle1 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    @NorCalBred I'm in the same boat as you! I just started stats this summer along with a pre-req for my English Comp course I'm taking in the fall. If you have 30+ by the end of your last semester/quarter before you would start at USC, then they disregard your HS grades. :)
  • NorCalBredNorCalBred Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    edited July 2016
    @rizzledrizzle1 Wow! I'm also taking Eng101A so that I can take Eng101C this fall. I'm starting Stats in the Fall. I have a question about the 30+...

My units per semester...

Summer 2016: 4 units
    Fall 2016: 14.5 units
    Spring 2017: 14 units
    Summer 2017: 6 units
    Fall 2017: 15 units
    Spring 2018: 12 units

So technically from what you're saying, I can apply this coming Spring as a sophomore transfer to USC without regards to HS grades since at the end of my Spring 2017 I would be done with 30+ units?
    edited July 2016
    @NorCalBred Basically! That's what my counselor and people on last year's forum are saying. Although, you might want to check to see if all your units are transferrable. All your units added up are 60+ which would technically make you a junior transfer. :P But if you have under 60 transferrable units (courses at your CC that count as certain classes at USC), I'm pretty sure you're considered a sophomore transfer, which all I know means that you can apply undeclared.
    @rizzledrizzle1 I guess not then because I'm taking Eng101A (4 units) this summer so that I can take Eng101C in the fall. I don't know if Eng101A would be transferable units.
    @NorCalBred just look up "USC Articulation Agreements" and look up your college. Just list out all the courses that transfer directly over and count the units for each course. If it's over 30 units then they won't look at HS grades. If it's over 60 units then you'll be considered a junior applicant. :)
    @rizzledrizzle1 Great news! I contacted my USC counselor and they told me my pre-req English course in the summer will count! I'll have 32 units by Spring 2017. I'm so happy! Thank you for your help. :)

@awalksonman Thank you, that really helps! I'll look into the EC, though I heard it's not as heavily emphasized like the freshmen admission process. ECs for PPD major, I'm still volunteering with a community based non-profit as I did throughout HS.
  • awalksonmanawalksonman Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    @NorCalBred Glad I could help! Yeah the number and even type of ECs you take don't really matter. But I had a low GPA and needed to show that I had real-world skills that would help me be successful beyond my GPA. So if you think you'll do well then I wouldn't worry about it, but it also doesn't hurt!
    Anyone planning on checking out the common app when it opens back up?
  • socamposocampo Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    edited July 2016
    Hey everyone I'm thinking of applying to the Marshal School of Business this year as a sophomore transfer. If your a business major @ a cc please tell me what classes you're taking. Best of luck to everybody!

@rizzledizzle I was also wondering that, maybe in september?
  • calitransfer97calitransfer97 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Hi, I'm hoping to transfer to USC fall 2017 as a junior. Ill probably have a 3.5 gpa (maybe higher) but I'm trying to transfer in as a gender studies major and then change it if i get in. What are your thoughts? do you think ill get in? i know my gpa is average but this is my dream school
  • blueskies2dayblueskies2day Registered User Posts: 753 Member
    Don't play the "apply to one major then switch into another" game with USC, they see right through that on an application better than anyone. Students need to know it is so easy to see when an applicant is doing that, particularly for holistic evalutations, and will lead your app directly into the trash.
  • calitransfer97calitransfer97 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @blueskies2day I want to apply as psychology but that is the most competitive and i didn't do well in chemistry which is a core pre-req. I have done a lot of volunteer work at women health centers, domestic violence centers etc. My counselor gave me the idea. Its not like I don't have a background in it. Do you think I will be okay? thank you for your response.
    @socampo I'm gonna look at it when it opens up in August and then write out the supplements so I can periodically check back on them leading up to Jan/Feb and change around if I changed my mind on something.
  • xbasilxbasil Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Hi guys, I'm currently attending a California community college and my goal is to apply to USC Marshall.

I know it's possible to enter as undecided, as I know many people who have done so.

My plan is to apply to Marshall, and if I don't get accepted, I will apply as an undecided major and try to transfer into marshall, if not, I will stay in Dornsife as an economics major.

However, I am still not 100% sure how the required units work. I looked at the articulation agreement for my community college, and after Fall 2016 I will have all GE requirements completed.

I was also planning on applying to UCs so I have been following the IGETC plan and looking at assist.org for Major Course related requirements.

But on the articulation agreement for USC, it isn't clear what exactly is required for the specific major. It says (No course equivalents available)

I know that you can enter USC without even finishing all of the GEs, but they recommend that students do so.

Also, I'm not sure if I would enter as a sophomore or junior?

If anyone can explain to me how USC's course requirements work in detail, and how transferring into specific schools in USC works, that would be awesome.