right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Searching for a school to transfer to

ChemE19ChemE19 0 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
My background:

19-year old female studying Chemical Engineering, looking for the right school to transfer to. Applied to colleges without really knowing what I was looking for and based my selections off U.S. News rankings... looking back, I had the wrong idea.

Accepted into UPenn, Carnegie Mellon, Tufts, Northeastern, chose Northeastern because of complicated personal reasons. Did decently well my first year, ended up with like a 3.7 GPA. Problems arose when I returned this fall for my second year and experienced multiple panic attacks and other depression-related issues (diagnosed with both anxiety and depression) and withdrew on medical leave for the semester.

My issues with Northeastern:

Students were overly stressed about getting co-ops, which created a cutthroat atmosphere. I was once mocked for having hobbies and interests that couldn't be used as a resume booster.

Boston induced claustrophobia; I missed seeing trees, animals, and happy people. Everyone I saw on the street was either caught up in a phone call or running to class, i.e. no lounging on the quad like the college campuses in my imagination.

Students were commonly from wealthy, extremely privileged backgrounds, and were even out of touch with the reality of working-class America. Asked a student for tips on organic chemistry 2, the response was "Just hire a private tutor!"

What I am looking for:

A college where students are 'real people', who do fun things in their free time to enjoy themselves, not pretentious or overly concerned with resume building.

Students and professors dedicated to learning, passionate about their studies. I still want a good engineering program, but not one that will kill me.

Campus and location that is generally enjoyable to live in, but I am open to any region of the U.S. as long as it's not Boston (lol).

A student body that is unique, but a strong sense of togetherness and belonging. I am a member of the LGBT community, so please don't suggest schools that are too conservative.

Any suggestions are welcome, but additional information and justification would be appreciated!
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Searching for a school to transfer to

• happymomof1happymomof1 29664 replies175 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 10
    Do you have any financial restrictions?

Are you still interested in any of the places from your initial list? Were yu accepted to any of them? If so, contact those admissions offices and ask what steps you need to follow in order to be considered for transfer admission.

Do you have an affordable home-state public U that offers your major? That might be your best choice. Often those have so many students that it is easy to find people who share hobbies and out-of-classroom interests.

edited September 10
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 14738 replies985 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 11
    It sounds like you want a small rural or small town liberal arts college. Few if any offer engineering.

Resume building is important in engineering and coops and internships are valuable and competitive. How committed are you to a career in engineering?

You may want to look at Clarkson University in upstate New York.
    edited September 11
    · Reply · Share
  • taverngirltaverngirl 932 replies22 threadsRegistered User Member
    Second Clarkson. Where do you live? State U might make sense. All of the New England state universities are in nice locations and would have a diverse student body.
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 5508 replies1 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    "A college where students are 'real people'"

Your in-state public universities might be worth looking at.

One thing about public universities, they accept a wide range of students whose main things in common are: (i) They were above-average high school students; (ii) They come from that state, and (iii) They are looking for an affordable education. Other than these three things, there is a huge range of students at good public universities, and whoever you are there will be other students who are like you.

Most prestigious and highly-ranked universities will have quite a few students who are from a wealthy background, and who are stressed about getting high grades and internships. When I was a student at MIT most of the students were from working class and middle class backgrounds, but the school largely made up for this by being even more stressful than most universities. Free time was in very short supply.

"Students and professors dedicated to learning,"

You will find a significant number of these at any "top 200" university in the US, or equivalent outside the US.
    · Reply · Share
  • mountainsoulmountainsoul 55 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    CU Boulder might be a good fit. The college of engineering is well regarded and was recently ranked #15 by USNWR for chemical engineering. CU Boulder students work hard but also know how to have fun. The student body is liberal and Boulder itself is a vibrant small city with plenty of trees, animals, and happy people. However, tuition is quite steep at nearly 60k/yr for oos students.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41882 replies451 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    WPI immediately came to mind.... Unfortunately it's in a Boston suburb. :/
    What about your state flagship?
    See if UVermont, VTech, Miami Ohio, and OhioU would be affordable.
    · Reply · Share
  • retiredfarmerretiredfarmer 1065 replies3 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The "Boston suburb" is actually the second largest city in New England and is 50 miles from Boston. The WPI campus is in a suburban setting within the city limits and does have a real quad as well as adjacent "institute" park.

Check out this website regarding transfer FA. It does meet a lot of your criteria. See https://www.wpi.edu/admissions/undergraduate/apply/how-to/application-deadlines/transfer-students/transfer-student-faqs
    · Reply · Share