right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Does transferring from one ‘Hidden Ivy’ to another act as an edge in any way?

WestingNavyWestingNavy 3 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
I am thinking of (hopefully) transferring from where I attend to another ‘hidden Ivy’. I’m not trying to be obnoxious about a school’s prestige but this speaks more to where I’m thinking of applying/attending. Does it act as any edge?
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Does transferring from one ‘Hidden Ivy’ to another act as an edge in any way?

• CottonTalesCottonTales 1258 replies21 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    What is a "hidden Ivy"?
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 14733 replies984 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    An edge for what?
    · Reply · Share
  • EconPopEconPop 145 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    What is a "hidden Ivy"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Ivies

It is a group of colleges considered by the authors of the book to be more-or-less equal to the Ivy League in educational quality.

Some of the names on the list are well-known and respected: Notre Dame, John Hopkins, Stanford, Duke, Georgetown, USC. Many others may surprise some parents/students who are just beginning the college search process: Claremont McKenna, Rochester, Dennison, Richmond, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 8915 replies332 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    In your other thread you said you want to transfer from Vassar to Amherst. A quick look at their institutional research shows that Vassar considers Amherst a peer, but Amherst doesn't list Vassar among it's peers. So I don't think the Vassar name on your transcript will be a hook or a tip.

Your reasons for transferring are good ones. If you can't get into the courses you want and that's preventing you from declaring the major you want then transferring is a good plan. Just make sure you have academic/financial safeties and matches on your list.
    · Reply · Share
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 1416 replies29 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    There is no such thing as a “hidden ivy”, southern ivy, west coast ivy, public ivy, etc. it’s a made up term to sell books.
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 12870 replies241 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Amherst rarely takes transfers period, but the few it takes are rarely from "peer schools". It likes community college transfers, and veterans (often same student). The idea being "who didn't get a shot at this type of education before?".

Can't hurt to apply but at Amherst at least, it seems to be more of a negative than a positive.
    · Reply · Share