right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
1 DAY until our COVID-19's impact on admissions webinar, tomorrow at 3:00 pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Check out our newest addition to the Student Lounge. Go to the "STUDENT HERE: Ask Me Anything!" and connect with fellow students who can answer your school specific questions!
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

I have a full ride at a TINY private Christian college I hate, I wanna transfer...

Rzugg114Rzugg114 5 replies3 threads New Member
So, when I was applying to colleges, I applied to a tiny private Christian school knowing it was the only place for a choral degree. I received a full ride here, but it was after I changed my major into STEM. This school has a very small emphasis on STEM because the whole school is either Christian studies majors or childhood education. The school of my dreams, Clemson, was the second school I applied to. I’ve known since I was a freshman in high school I wanted to go there, and my older sister graduated from Clemson. She constantly talks about how much fun it was, hard, but fun. I HATE my college with a passion. I grew up in public school and I prefer not to build meaningful relationships with people I just go to school with. I hate for people to know my personal life, and I just want to be a number. The college I got a full ride at is the opposite. People constantly tell me, “oh I’ll be praying for you” and I can’t hide in a class of 7 people. Everyone is too personable, and I feel like Clemson is a better fit for me. The only problem... I was accepted into Clemson Engineering, but I changed my major at my current college to BioChem. I’m scared that at Clemson I will hate being in STEM because of how difficult everyone says it is. I’m not struggling at all at my current university, which is nice, but I absolutely cannot stand the people, social aspect, and environment of my current university. Not to mention that I only go to college 15 minutes away from my house... which makes it even worse. My current university has zero diversity and everyone things in a very small close minded box, but I want a school with diversity and people from places other than South Carolina. I wanted to spread my wings in college, but instead I’ve developed horrible anxiety and I cry every time I think of going back to my university. The only problem with transferring, I currently have no tuition because of my scholarship, but transferring, my parents offered to pay for Clemson, but they want me to stay at my current university because they absolutely love it. I don’t know what to do... HELP PLS
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: I have a full ride at a TINY private Christian college I hate, I wanna transfer...

• 4Gulls4Gulls 558 replies0 threads Member
    At the very least, you should get a transfer application into Clemson. I can't imagine two more different schools - small Christian vs. large ACC school. The fact that you were originally accepted into Clemson Engineering bodes well for transfer, assuming your GPA at current school is fine. Real issue seems to be your parents. Speak honestly with them and tell them how you feel you made a mistake. Walking away from a full-ride is tough, but not if you are totally miserable. I would imagine an engineering degree from Clemson would go further in the real world as well. It's unclear how much of a role $$$ play here. You can certainly offer to do work-study at Clemson, work summers, etc. to help with the finances. Good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • Rzugg114Rzugg114 5 replies3 threads New Member
    Thank you so much. I currently stand with a 4.0 from my first semester, and I’m hoping to keep that up for this spring semester.
    · Reply · Share
  • jesse'sgirljesse'sgirl 462 replies33 threads Member
    Your parents WILL pay for Clemson, but WANT you to stay where you're at? Well, if they WILL pay, I'd transfer. No disrespect intended, but it's not up to them...unless they make it a condition of paying, which they haven't.
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 2081 replies27 threads Senior Member
    If your parents are willing to pay for Clemson then what are you worrying about? Go! I would suggest applying to a couple other schools too just in case you want more options. What about your instate option U of SC? It sounds to me like what you are seeking may be there too. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 10160 replies562 threads Senior Member
    I don’t see a problem. Your parents say they will pay. Put your transfer app in.

But stop saying awful and petty things about the people at your school. You CHOSE your school. You knew it was small and Christian. You’re complaining because people say they will pray for you, and are personable, and friendly? That’s a complaint? Wow.

You say you prefer not to build meaningful relationships with people you JUST go to school with. That’s ..... possibly the strangest thing I’ve read on CC. If you don’t want to build meaningful relationships with people at your school and you want to be a number, why not go to Community College and be a commuter? So at Clemson you will be happy to be a number and not form meaningful friendships? Good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • BenniesMom1BenniesMom1 202 replies3 threads Junior Member
    edited February 16
    Lindagaf wrote: »
    But stop saying awful and petty things about the people at your school. You CHOSE your school. You knew it was small and Christian. You’re complaining because people say they will pray for you, and are personable, and friendly? That’s a complaint? Wow.

My sentiments exactly !!! I was like... SERIOUSLY? You're complaining because... WHY?

We should all be that lucky and blessed to be in an environment where people are personable, friendly AND will pray for us !! I don't see the problem here.

edited February 16
    · Reply · Share
  • 3sonsmom3sonsmom 338 replies0 threads Member
    @BenniesMom1 I have a different perspective. Praying and saving, they may sense different views. That would be tiresome (to some people). A large school with different groups/clubs, giving you the choice to join, better.
    Parents will pay, sister went to Clemson, larger school with good sports teams and your grades are good.
    · Reply · Share