Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

In bad taste?

UnionTransferUnionTransfer Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
edited September 2006 in Transfer Students
If I'm considering potentially transfering from my current college (not definite) would it be considered in bad taste to run for a student government position? I was hoping to run for secretary/treasurer of the class but the election system doesn't allow you to run for certain positions 1st place is Pres, second is Vice Pres, third is secretary.

Would college be turned off from an applicant that got active in the student government than bailed out to go to stronger school?
Post edited by UnionTransfer on

Replies to: In bad taste?

• dallas808dallas808 Registered User Posts: 768 Member
    It should be just fine unless it is obvious to adcom that you are padding your resume/credential.

Ethnically, I won't run if I know in advance that I can't serve my full term but that is just me.
  • UnionTransferUnionTransfer Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    yea right now I'm trying to figure out how to put together a solid EC resume of activites I'm very interested in but not make it seem obivous that I'm doing some basic resume building. I think I'd transfer if anything at the beginning of my sophmore year if I do end up transfering. I really just want to keep my options open incase I see my attitude going sour towards my college.

I know colleges are turned off by the mile wide inch deep approach, plus I need to balance my grades, make sure I maintain at least a 3.7.

Perhaps I won't run for office, I'm already devoting 3-4 hours daily to EC activites as it is. My main focus should be that GPA.
  • laneb2005laneb2005 Registered User Posts: 404 Member
    I think you meant "ethically" not "ethnically", right dallas?
  • jmmomjmmom Registered User Posts: 9,084 Senior Member
    If you already have 3-4 hours of ECs PER DAY (!) and IF your reason to run for office is to improve a possible transfer app, don't do it. It won't make that much difference in a transfer app, anyway.
  • dallas808dallas808 Registered User Posts: 768 Member
    laneb2005: Thx for catching the typo.
This discussion has been closed.