Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Transferring into a major I know little about

foxdie!foxdie! Registered User Posts: 832 Member
edited September 2006 in Transfer Students
I want to TRY to transfer to Columbia Engineering to major in Applied Mathematics. However, I will have only done Calc I and II by the end of my freshmen year.

I'm a good math student but I've not gotten ahead in my classes like other people have. Besides this I will have done 2 courses in computer programming, a course in statistics, the usual physic with calc, 2 advanced courses in economics, and one more course that I haven't decided.

Will I be at a big disadvantage for not being in a higher math class (like multivar or linear algebra)?
Post edited by foxdie! on

Replies to: Transferring into a major I know little about

• subjecttochangesubjecttochange - Posts: 180 Junior Member
    applied math is so boring.

either do engineering or pure math.

and yes, most people will have done abstract algebra and real analysis by their junior year. they will rape you in your classes.
  • foxdie!foxdie! Registered User Posts: 832 Member
    Ok, but I'm transferring in as a sophmore. I could potentially take Calculus III and an abstract math class my first semester of soph year and intro to real analysis by second semester.

What I'm asking is, will not being "ahead" be a negative in my application? (excuse the grammar)
This discussion has been closed.