Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Georgetown SFS vs. UPenn

Replies to: Georgetown SFS vs. UPenn

• BourneBourne Registered User Posts: 982 Member
    Good luck.
  • MilkmagnMilkmagn Registered User Posts: 711 Member
    supindy wrote:
    Eluggj is absolutley wrong OP. Upenn is an Ivy league and is one of the best schools is in the world and has a VERY VERY high ranking. Don't even consider other schools to an Ivy (except Stanford and MIT). Besides Upenn has the best buisness program, you will make a lot more money, have a better reputation, and ultimatley matter more if you go to an Ivy.
    cool post... you are really right... I think we should bow down and worship ivy grads

and Georgetown is as prestigious as many of the ivies (even though it isn't an ivy)
  • MLEVINE07MLEVINE07 Registered User Posts: 741 Member
    supindy, I will tell you right now that you have no idea what you are talking about. You don't go to schools because of their rank or prestige, but because of their strength in your program and because of how you feel you will be able to do in the environment at that college. My friend rejected Brown for Boston College because she knew she would do better in the BC environment, and guess what? She's doing great at BC, and she's happy. She is with people like herself in an area she enjoys living in. Brown would have been radically different, and she likely would not have liked it.

You need to cut your "Ivy, obv." approach and really think about what you want and what wil REALLY be best for you.
  • supindysupindy Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    Let me tell you my finalized list: Cornell, JHU, Berkeley, Duke.

As you can see only one of them is an ivy-league school so that argument is void. Of course my dream school is Stanford, and I don't expect to get in.

If you still doubt me, then i'll let you know that i'm Indian (from India not Native American). Thus it is genetic for me to want to go to a prestigious college.
  • CherryBlossomCherryBlossom Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    "i'll let you know that i'm Indian (from India not Native American). Thus it is genetic for me to want to go to a prestigious college."

lol.....it's genetic?.....haha that is the dumbest thing i've heard in a long time. In what research did u say u were published in again?
  • charlesjeoncharlesjeon Registered User Posts: 232 Junior Member
    Lol Genetic
  • supindysupindy Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    NOT LITERALLY GENETIC...thats ****ing impossible. It was a simile that I used to emphasize the points that:

a) Indian parents want (when I say this I mean either you do it or they punish you...) their children to go to the most prestigious colleges. Otherwise their child fails at life (this isn't my mentality, but my parents mentality and the mentality of the numerous Indian parents i've met).

b) Our friends circle, and relatives will give us little to no respect if we don't graduate from a brand name college. You guys think im kidding but im serious...ive seen my friends and relatives get **** treatment because they didn't go to a prestigious college.

That being said, it is in my best interest (both personally and socially) for me and every other brown kid to go to reputed college. Therefore that is what we always strive for even if it is not literally genetic. Mentally that is what brown kids want.
  • HoosforGTownHoosforGTown Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Okay... both Gtown-SFS and Penn are prestigious... So which one should I attend? Is it like the Harvard vs. Yale question?
  • charlesjeoncharlesjeon Registered User Posts: 232 Junior Member
    LOL GENETIC
    so if no prestigious college = fail at life
  • MLEVINE07MLEVINE07 Registered User Posts: 741 Member
    I know tons of indian kids at Bard who are extremely happy to be there. This included those who are American and those who are internationial.

Stop using generalizations and stereotypes to try to make you obsession seem legit. You are only applying to top, elite schools, and only because of their status as such. Give me your reasons for applying to the schools you did.

Hoos, I'd go with Penn. It's a year less and free, and the difference in the two educations will be minimal.
  • BourneBourne Registered User Posts: 982 Member
    Yeah I'd go with Penn too. I think an Econ BA from Penn is broad enough to get you by with anything and then you can supplement that with a masters in something that's obviously more specific.

Supindy your genetic comment is just beyond ridiculous. Extreme parental pressure doesn't usually ever turn out well. I hope you're an exception.
  • ElggujElgguj Registered User Posts: 469 Member
    are you equally interested in econ as international affairs/relations/service/etc? if theyre both equal for you, the extra year and the money issue should probably be your deciding factors.
    Elgguj: I am interested in international political economy.... Penn has some courses in IPE as well both in econ and politics department... I think I will probably flip a coin at the end, hahaha...
  • ElggujElgguj Registered User Posts: 469 Member
    haha yikes...sounds like a tough decision. good luck and let us know which you choose!
    I asked SFS to reconsider the credit evaluation and if I would be able to graduate in two years. If SFS says Yes, I will go to SFS. If not, I will be heading to UPenn.

BTW, is it a violation of double-deposit if I reserve a space at SFS until I receive financial aid information and credit evaluation from UPenn?
This discussion has been closed.