Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Bad Academic Standing- Can I transfer?

martin.cornmartin.corn Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
edited April 2009 in Transfer Students

I am an international student at Cornell who is currently in bad academic standing. Due to slacking off and not being able to pull myself together I did poorly in my sophomore year and I couldn't meet the requirements for applying for a major. As a result, I was withdrawn from my college.

At this point I don't think it is possible for me to continue at Cornell, and I'm exploring different options. One is to transfer into another institution, but I don't really know where I can apply. Could anyone give some advice as to what I can and should be looking for at this point? It is hard to find information in this vein.
Post edited by martin.corn on

Replies to: Bad Academic Standing- Can I transfer?

  • dufflebagjesusdufflebagjesus Registered User Posts: 874 Member
    what are your stats? im assuming that your gpa was less than 2.0 if you were in bad academic standing...if that is the case, your transfer options will be pretty limited...a community college might be your best option
  • hmom5hmom5 - Posts: 10,882 Senior Member
    Your best bet is probably to go to a community college for a year, get your act together and then apply to 4 year schools.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,563 Senior Member
    You need to get in touch with your former advisor at Cornell and find out what you would have to do in order to return there. They may require that you take a semester or two off entirely before applying for readmission, or they may require that you attend another place (a community college would probably be your best option) for a semester or two in order to demonstrate that you have your act together. Whatever Cornell requires for you to get back into good academic standing would be pretty close to what most 4 year colleges/universities would require of a transfer student with your current record.

    Please be aware though, that as an international student changing from a 4 year university to a 2 year community college can raise questions when you apply for the new visa paperwork. Get some good advice from the international students office at Cornell about how to handle this one.

    Wishing you all the best.
  • martin.cornmartin.corn Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies. So the consensus is that going to a community college and getting my act straight is the best idea? Do any 4-year colleges consider such applicants?

    I understand that this is my fault, but at the same time it feels like there is no way to salvage the situation at the moment. Am I the only one foolish enough to get himself in such a situation?

    Maybe more details might be helpful:

    I was accepted in the Class of 2010 College of Engineering. My first year grades were decent, with a gpa of ~3.5. My second year I am not proud of, as I managed to fail 4 classes (Ds and Fs) in two semesters. I got a warning at the end of the first semester of my second year, but I still managed to ruin a second semester through my poor judgment and laziness.

    I took summer classes that year, and did OK (B- average), but that was not enough to fulfill the criteria for affiliation of a major. Failure to affiliate by the start of the third year is grounds for withdrawal from the college, which was what happened to me. Finally scared, I looked for help and was told to apply for internal transfer into another college in Cornell. I decided upon choosing Arts & Sciences, and did a semester through Continuing Studies while applying for transfer.

    This semester went better in terms of overall effort put in and I got a few Bs and an A-. But I also failed a class (stupidly couldn't bring myself to write a paper...). Then I was recently told that my application had been rejected, leaving me out of the loop. Being in no college, I am not a Cornell student at the moment.

    My gpa is around a 2.5, and my regret and shame are at an all-time high. I do want to get a degree, and I have vowed to take control of my life more seriously. I don't want to let one year and a half of idiocy ruin it.

    Thanks for reading.
  • Here&NowHere&Now Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    I think you can transfer into another four-year institute. I'd think writing essays would be awkward, but nevertheless some lower tier state school -maybe not even the SUNY- might take you. You may as well try. You had to be a hotshot at some point (i.e. High School) to get into Cornell, so just keep applying yourself... literally! Apply to state schools and private schools ( you probably have the money being an international student and all). You're probably out of the Ivy League for good, but you're not out of a bachelors degree. Be safe though and apply to some community colleges.
  • fizz3lfizz3l Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    Can you repeat a semester by retaking some of your failed classes? You may have to extend your graduation date, but it would be worth it if Cornell allows it.

    You should also try posting this under the Cornell forum.
  • martin.cornmartin.corn Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    I think I have exhausted many options at Cornell, as I am not being allowed to take classes here at all (not even through Continuing Education). I have been told that I can still apply to the College of Arts & Sciences (effectively getting back into Cornell) again at the end of this semester after I take classes elsewhere... I guess I will try that as well as applying to other institutions.
  • ColdWindColdWind - Posts: 1,598 Senior Member
    Community college is not the best option in your situation. Many fully accredited four year universities are likely to accept you, but you will have to consider much lower ranked schools such as Arizona State Univ. (ASU), UNLV, Clarkson Univ., Texas A & M, Kansas State, Univ. of Kentucky, Univ. of Utah, Colorado State, Oregon, Oklahoma, etc. Say goodbye to the Ivy League & Top 50 National Universities.
    Admission to US universities is fairly easy once you look beyond the Top 50 or so National Universities, especially if you are not seeking financial aid. Of the approximately 3,000 four year colleges & universities in the US, only about 120 will reject you.
  • 2e4L2e4L Registered User Posts: 193 Junior Member
    I have been told that I can still apply to the College of Arts & Sciences (effectively getting back into Cornell) again at the end of this semester after I take classes elsewhere... I guess I will try that as well as applying to other institutions.
    What are they requiring of you? A minimum GPA or something of the sort?

    Many schools require "Good Academic Standing" in order to transfer. I know of someone who was also essentially kicked out of Cornell. I don't know what became of that individual though.
  • 619luv619luv Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    man I FEEL FOR YOU.

    I am doing so bad right now in school, but I still have a over a 2.0. and I am still worried about my chances of transferring.
  • robtellerrobteller Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    I'm not an expert but i don't think it's necessary in your case to transfer to a CC. If you go to a CC for a year or two and get straight As your gpa will still be slightly tarnished and it will be harder to apply to a school such as Cornell. Cornell is highly ranked, you should just try to talk to an adviser about redoing some of your classes to raise your gpa. If you have no other choice (you are already going to get kicked out?) then i guess you can do the CC route.
  • MakeBank24MakeBank24 Registered User Posts: 649 Member
    If you're in academic probation or something similar to that matter with Cornell. Then you cannot be able to transfer due to the fact that you're academically ineligble. Transferring to a Community College for a time can help but no matter what you do, you would need to go to Cornell to lift off the academic probation off your record/transcript so you can be eligible to transfer.
This discussion has been closed.