Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Academic Suspension...

poomanpooman Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited May 2009 in Transfer Students
Alright.. So I'm currently suspended for the Fall '09 semester at my school because of failing to reach my Last Semester GPA under academic probation. I've had problems concentrating an focusing at the school since I've started attending there in Fall '06 but tried my best to persevere through it and get my degree in Computer Science there to no avail. Now my GPA is < 1.5 with 64 credits. My advisor told me to attend a Community College while I am suspended to show I am trying to keep up with my coursework, however it will take me a long time to graduate because of my low GPA. I am wondering what I can do to salvage my situation. If I go to community college, what are the chances of me being able to transfer to another decent institution in the New York area and continue towards a CS degree? I think that starting at a new school is the best course of action because my GPA is abysmal at my old school... What do you guys think? I need all the help I can get and would like to thank anyone that responds in advance.
Post edited by pooman on

Replies to: Academic Suspension...

  • aaam90aaam90 Registered User Posts: 1,495 Senior Member
    drop out of your university and attend a community college.

    you'll have to be there for a while and get 4.0s or at least VERY close to that while you're there the whole time. it'll be difficult to transfer UNLESS you write a VERY VEY compelling essay about why your GPA was so low--family issues, financial issues, etc. If you don't have any good reason, i don't know that it will be possible to transfer with those grades on your record.

    perhaps it would be wise for you to take some time off of school and build up work experience or travel experience and maybe you'll reach some sort of life-changing epiphany you could base your essay off of later on when transferring.
  • MakeBank24MakeBank24 Registered User Posts: 649 Member
    Well if the places you're looking to transfer to are similar to some of the ones I've looked at then you can't transfer. Any applicant that has an academic hold is deemed ineligible for transfer until he/she has cleared it from their academic record. Leaving the school to go to a community college doesn't help because the record will still be there and will have to be sent for admissions to transfer.
  • springisintheairspringisintheair Registered User Posts: 451 Member
    The bigger picture is WHY are you having trouble focusing and concentrating? In order to achieve anywhere you must explore these issues and have a plan to remediate - it is medical, psychological, habitual, poor time managment, etc.?!??!
    1.Explore problem
    2. Redefine goals
    3. Plan
    4. Solve
    5. Move Forward
    6. Succeed.
  • missamericanpiemissamericanpie Registered User Posts: 2,179 Senior Member
    i agree with spring. your FIRST priority is to figure out what it is that's troubling you. everything else should be secondary.
  • poomanpooman Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    So... regardless of how well I do at a CC, I must still return to my old school and raise my GPA >2.0 in order to transfer?
  • MakeBank24MakeBank24 Registered User Posts: 649 Member
    pooman - Yes, if you hit up the collegeboard website along with the official college you're hoping to apply to you will see:

    "Admission requirements for transfers:
    Required of All: College Transcript(s), Essay or Personal Statement, Statement of good standing from Prior Institutions(s)"

    It is required to have good standing from your prior institutions or you will not be eligible as a transfer student. Academic probation basically screws you over from applying to any other college even if you go to a community college for some time. Also if you were to go to a community college and try to transfer you work to your previous college, it isn't going to work because the only thing that will transfer is coursework credit not GPA.
  • vybevybe Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm in the same situation as pooman..what happens if we are denied to be reinstated back to our old school??
This discussion has been closed.