right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Merit $ at Trinity Collge

CtdoctorCtdoctor 9 replies4 threadsRegistered User New Member
Trinity's list price is about 72k whch is pretty steep given its location. Can anyone speak to what sort of merit aid may be available? Other schools are offering my kid about 50% off so I'm curious if Trinity is that generous or not. Thanks!
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Merit $ at Trinity Collge

• thumper1thumper1 74327 replies3252 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Most of Trinity aid is need based aid.

From their website...they have a VERY small merit fund, and these scholarships are small.
    Trinity College commits to meeting the full demonstrated financial need of the student it admits and the majority of the college's financial aid funding is for students who demonstrate financial need. However, the college has a very small merit aid fund. Students are chosen for these small scholarships through the admissions process. There is no application required for scholarships. All students who apply to the college are considered. All scholarships are awarded at the point of admission.
    · Reply · Share
  • RJMPIglesiasRJMPIglesias 5 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Our EFC was basically $0; but my daughter still got a decent amount from Trinity (close to $30K). I was very surprised. But she applied ED. I guess you get the most if you apply ED, but i am not an expert. She accepted and is going next year. Trinity was her #1 choice.
    · Reply · Share
    BTW she loved the campus.
    · Reply · Share
    @RJMPIglesias

I’m confused...I thought trinity pledged to meet full need for all accepted students. You must have something on your Profile that indicates you can pay the balance.

The total cost of attendance at Trinity is $70,000 a year...or so. That $30,000 they gave you, leaves you with a $40,000 balance to pay...with a $0 EFC? How can that be?

Something isn’t quite right with your story, and numbers.

From their website:
    We’ve created four-year aid awards for low-income students, and our financial aid program is among the most generous in the country: we meet the full calculated financial need of all accepted financial aid applicants, and we continue to increase both the amount of aid provided and the percentage of students receiving aid.
    · Reply · Share
    You are right. I wrote too fast and by mistake I didn't include the correct number. Our EFC was basically $70K.
    · Reply · Share
    That is the reason I was surprised, because I was not expecting any $$.
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 4
    Any chance you have two kids in college next year?

Are you self employed?

I’d want to be sure that award is accurate....if it’s a need based award. It would be very annoying to find that they made a calculation error!
    edited February 4
    · Reply · Share
  • waverlywizzardwaverlywizzard 138 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Trinity College is extremely generous to those with financial need. Other than that they seek highly qualified academic candidates and get them. No surprise that there really isn't merit aid. Like Amherst, Williams and Wesleyan and other NESCAC schools.
    · Reply · Share