Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Special Programs

Replies to: Special Programs

• 70reve4rotag70reve4rotag Registered User Posts: 284 Junior Member
    Same here, missariella. Is the Human Rights one a program or just a major/minor? I got info about it a while ago (before I applied to Trinity), but I haven't gotten a chance to go back and read it.
  • missariellamissariella Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    I believe it's a minor.
    A mother posted in another thread about her son getting Guided Studies info and then getting waitlisted. I guess it's not as promising as we might have hoped...
    well that stinks. after a disappointment from haverford today, i was looking forward to good news from trinity, but i guess i shouldn't get my hopes up...

what thread did you see this on?
    Didn't mean to get you down- I'm a bit of a pessimist. If it helps, she didn't say so exactly, more insinuated. It's in the "How kids are finding out" thread in the parents forum.
    I'm sorry about Haverford, but I'm sure the right school will work out.
    Will you go to Trinity if accepted? I'm liking it more everyday.
    I'm still waiting to hear officially from 8 schools (including Trinity), and I've been accepted to 3, so I really don't know if I'll choose Trinity (if i get in...). The unique programs they offer are definitely attractive to me, but I haven't visited the campus yet, so I'd definitely want to do that before I decide.
  • lefthandofdoglefthandofdog Registered User Posts: 1,443 Senior Member
    Am I the mom you're referring to? My s. received info. from Trinity two years ago, did not respond and was accepted (small envelope - we thought it was bad news). It was another LAC that offered a program, he didn't respond and was waitlisted.

I know of one other Trinity applicant (going back three years) who received the special program info. and was accepted.

I hope it's good news for you, but I don't know that what held true in the past is true today.
    Sounds like you're the one, lefthandofdog. Nice to know it wasn't Trinity that WLed him, even though I plan on responding to the Cities Program invitation to apply. Did your son choose Trinity? If so, how is he liking it?
    Sorry for misquoting you, lefthandofdog. Thanks for clearing that up- I hope it is "true today." :)
    70reve4rotag, are you just responding to Cities? He said we could be considered for both, right?
    Yes, the letters say we can "apply" (respond) for both (or all 4, I suppose) and if admitted to more than one, we can choose which we'd prefer. I'm just responding to Cities (though I may include a line in my e-mail thanking them for the invitation to Guided) because I really don't think I can stand any more European History - I'm more of a science/polisci/human rights kind of person, not so much history and English. Are you doing both?
  • lefthandofdoglefthandofdog Registered User Posts: 1,443 Senior Member
    No, in the end he went elsewhere. We both went to the Trinity day for accepted students. I have nothing but good impressions of the school. The two major drawbacks people mention - that the student body is preppy or that they think the neighborhood is dangerous - seemed to have some truth but I didn't think either was a reason not to attend. The campus is beautiful and I think they have a very student-focused program. He visited another campus and said that's where he wanted to be. You might feel the same way when you visit the school's you're accepted to. I think it's very different being on campus KNOWING that you can attend (vs. visiting to see if you want to apply). Good luck!
    Thanks for that info, lefthand. I hadn't really thought about the difference in visiting before applying vs. after acceptance, but I'm sure your right.
  • crashcrash Registered User Posts: 483 Member
    Missariella: I'm a freshman. I got the envelope discussing a certain program a few weeks before I got an official acceptance. I opted to take a seminar instead (they offer about ten different ones - some very interesting) instead of a program.
  • crashcrash Registered User Posts: 483 Member
    ALso - check out the Trin live journal site - there was some discussion about this on there:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/trinitycollege/
    Accepted into Cities and Guided today...anyone else?
  • BallyBally Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    I got one a couple days a ago...along with an invitation to join the Interarts program. Does anyone know which of the three is better? Or does it just have to do with your specific interests?
This discussion has been closed.