Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Tufts alum interview - how important for admissions?

2»

Replies to: Tufts alum interview - how important for admissions?

• rizadorizado Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    My daughter had her interview today. The interviewer apparently did not take her seriously about her interest in Tufts and kept asking her where she really wanted to go. The interview also wanted to know why my daughter was second in her class rather than first. My daughter left the interview feeling very uncomfortable. Should we be concerned?
  • WCASParentWCASParent Registered User Posts: 2,102 Senior Member
    rizado-
    I'm really sorry that your daughter's interviewer made her feel uncomfortable. The effect should have been the opposite.
    What part of the country are you in? You might want to just send a quick note to the admissions officer who covers your daughter's region to let him/her know how you feel and also to enable your daughter to convey anything else that she was not able to during the interview.
    Thanks for the helpful comment. I am sending an email to the admissions office although obviously I don't want to jeopardize my daughter's chances of admission; I am assuming (or at least I hope) that the admissions office can separate the interview from the candidate. Fortunately my daughter liked the school so much she is pretty capable of ignoring the interview in the long run; I just hope this interviewer doesn't take that approach with all the applicants to whom she is assigned.
  • WCASParentWCASParent Registered User Posts: 2,102 Senior Member
    I can't imagine that the interview will hurt her chances, especially once she's taken the time to follow up and reiterate her interest.
    By the way, is she ED or RD?
    RD. Need to know about financial aid, etc.; we didnt want her applying anywhere early that was binding.
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 27,671 Super Moderator
    Just FYI, when applying ED asking for financial aid, the school will make an offer you can decline if it's insufficient to support attendance. You must take it or leave it, with no chance to compare offers, so ED is appropriate only for the number one top choice, the dream school, when you want only to know if you can afford it. ED increases chances of admission somewhat at some schools, the ones that love being loved. :) FA calculators can give a good estimate, warning that you might be wasting your application fee.
    Thank you for that information. We have a lot of financial balls in the air (as we have another child already in college and a third just starting to look), so the decision-making process isn't clear-cut enough for us to go ED, but I can see where, under less complicated circumstances, what you say would make a lot of sense.
  • hobbes216hobbes216 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    Same thing happened to my daughter - she got an email saying that there weren't enough interviewers in our area. She is now a freshman at Tufts, so it didn't seem to hurt her application at all!
  • DanAdmiss@TuftsDanAdmiss@Tufts College Rep Posts: 1,067 Senior Member
    Hi Rizado - thanks everyone, for encouraging the email to us. (And, thank you Rizado, for writing to me). We're in the process now of figuring this out.

For everyone else: if you have an interview experience that leaves you feeling deeply unsettled, please let us know. It's very rare, but hearing from you is how we can keep the experience productive for everyone.
  • hebrewhammerhebrewhammer Registered User Posts: 874 Member
    What's the point of interviewing applicants if it makes absolutely no difference? I know they say its to "put a face on the admissions process" but to me it sounds like a waste of time.
    Well the interview is not only for the school but also for the student if they have any questions. Because they are run by alumni it can be a useful tool for the applicant. Which is also part of the reason it is not mandatory.
    To elaborate, the admissions committee at least claims that there's a higher yield rate of students who are interviewed. So, in addition to giving the committee a slightly wider perspective on the candidate, an interview gives the candidate a wider view of the school and gives them an opportunity to engage more directly with a member of the Tufts community in a (hopefully) positive manner. It also gives the alumni a way to give back to the school in a meaningful way other than just mailing in a check.

Also, I just gave my first interview today!
2»
This discussion has been closed.