Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Tufts Regular Decision - class of 2018

Replies to: Tufts Regular Decision - class of 2018

• superstarlalasuperstarlala Registered User Posts: 1,602 Senior Member
    Tufts is one of my top choices. My GPA is low so I know it's a long shot, but I think my Tufts essays were some of my best. The "where are you from" essay was my favorite essay I wrote. I did the nerdy essay for Choice #3.
  • SadieLane12SadieLane12 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    I'm an RD applicant from western New York planning to major in biology (and possibly also Community Health) 34 ACT and 97.6 UW GPA
  • collegesleuth227collegesleuth227 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    edited February 2014
    @gondalineNJ

My paper didn't have specific colleges (one of the limitations of my database). What I did find though that major was more important than the college you choose, and once other factors are included, such as SAT Score, family income before starting college, race, gender, the selectivity of the school you attended, impacted how much you earned later in life a lot less. What I mean by this is that your socioeconomic status and how intelligent you are (SAT doesn't measure intelligence, but at the moment this was the most accurate word I could think of) are the major determinants of how much money you make in life, with the most important probably being the major you choose. Engineers generally make to most while education majors make the least.

And as for choosing Tufts as my #1, it was a combination of their stellar academics and the atmosphere I wanted from a college. I knew I wanted rigorous school academically. I knew that I wanted to be surrounded by like minded peers who all care about and enjoy learning, and top schools generally have the smartest and most motivated students. I also wanted a smaller school because I know that leaves better chances to eventually have smaller classes once you get through with your intro courses.
    And overall, I just loved the "vibe" I got from Tufts. It seemed like a quirky place that I would fit in. =)
  • NerdaneseNerdanese Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Hey guys! Finally caved and made myself a College Confidential account just to post to this thread! Tufts is my top choice school, and I am so nervous about getting in.

Some stats about me: 33 ACT (35 on both science and reading); 4.0 GPA unweighted; salutatorian of high school; hailing from Rhode Island and hoping to major in biomedical engineering with a pre-med track! I'm editor-in-chief of my high school newspaper, vice president for my school's NHS chapter, and an upcoming varsity captain for my school's girls' lacrosse team. I do a lot of other extracurriculars too :)

I'm really nervous about getting into Tufts because so many amazing people apply and I am not nationally-acknowledged for anything (yet). Also, it's my #1 choice, and I can't imagine going to school anywhere else and being just as happy.
  • gondalineNJgondalineNJ Registered User Posts: 415 Member
    collegesleuth227:

Interesting findings. I'm sure you can start a lengthy thread on just the subject of choice of major vs. school selectivity as determinants of "success". I'm a big believer in success coming from certain "soft" traits beyond intelligence and status and such, as discussed in the great Paul Tough book, "How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character".

And all your reasons for liking Tufts were my D's when it was her first choice last year. She has not been disappointed at all. Finds herself challenged, but not oppressively so. Loves the friends she's made, the vibe, getting into Davis Sq. I wish you and all the others on the thread good news come April 1!
  • RCLVRRRCLVRR Registered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    do you guys think that decisions will be posted prior to april 1st? what has it been like in pervious years?
  • momworriedmomworried Registered User Posts: 709 Member
    Ivy day. Whatever it is this year. Usually last Thursday of the month
  • outonalimboutonalimb Registered User Posts: 340 Member
    dang it... i just had to withdraw my tufts rd app cause of an ED ii binding... I was REALLY curious if I could've gotten into Tufts premed... good luck to everyone!
  • humanities2014humanities2014 Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    Ivy Day's 27th this time. As momworried said, it's last Thursday of the month.
  • KigzcorpKigzcorp Registered User Posts: 254 Junior Member
    anyone knowing chances of deffered applicants..?
  • KartKollKartKoll Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    ^I have the same question as kigzcorp. I applied ED II to Tufts and got deferred and it's my top choice so it's a bit nerve-wracking I guess. In terms of deferral all I know is (as Dan said on a thread), that it's the same acceptance rate for the deferred as it is for the regular decision candidates. But surely, I think, having applied ED would have some bearing on it right?
  • International95International95 Registered User Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    Unfortunately, no. Tufts does not consider interest in the evaluation process.
  • KigzcorpKigzcorp Registered User Posts: 254 Junior Member
    do they evaluate deffered applicants separately?
  • godiva123godiva123 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    So does Tufts release decisions on Ivy Day (the 27th) or April 1st (what its website says?)
  • Daddio3Daddio3 Registered User Posts: 625 Member
    I think it will be March 28, the Friday after Ivy. It was March 29 last year, the day after the March 28, 2013 Ivy Day.
This discussion has been closed.